PDA

View Full Version : Stopping nap times

02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Just a quick question.....I have a 33mnth old that attends my setting and has always had a nap after lunchtime. The LO will go down for about an hour and a half. Her mum mentioned to me the other week that the LO has stopped having naps at home but that if LO still needed at nap at mine then that was fine. I look after younger toddlers and babies that all go down for naps after lunch and LO has always asked to go down for a nap too.

Mum turned up the other day and asked if LO had had a nap that day to which I replied yes.....LO was given the option to stay up and have quiet time with the older toddlers but LO chose to go for a nap instead. Later on I rec'd a text from mum asking for me to not allow LO to have naps anymore.

Now I am aware that this LO is old enough to be dropping nap times now but the LO always asks to go down for a nap when the others do. By Ofsted's guidelines I am not supposed to refuse a child a sleep if they want one but also want to respect mums wishes. Any advice?????

RainbowMum
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I would compromise and offer top wake the child after 30 mins

JCrakers
02-02-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a 36m old who will always have an afternoon nap without fail, if not she will fall asleep on school run and thats too late. Then I have 2x2yr olds who sometimes nap/sometimes dont.

I just see how it goes, if they are showing signs of tiredness/getting cross/not wanting to play but just lie/sit down etc then they go for a sleep.
Ive always said if a child is tired they shouldnt be kept awake as they obvioulsy need a little top up nap.And its so hard to keep a tired child awake anyway

Maybe speak to Mum about having a small sleep if needed. She probably had problem getting the child to bed.
Sometimes children wont go to bed at night because they are overtired and a little nap in the day helps.

blue bear
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Does lo need a sleep or is it habit in that that's what had always happened.
Try distracting at nap time while the others settle and see how it goes, don't offer the choice of nap or not.
Obviously if child is exhausted and really needs a sleep to be able to play then you let them sleep

jane5
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
My dd is 30 months and sleeps some days but not always.

I let her sleep if she needs to because if I try and make her stay awake she is grumpy and falls asleep around 5.30 and then will not go to sleep at bedtime.

On the days she doesn't want to sleep (I cant make her sleep if she is not tired) she goes to bed about an hour earlier because she is tired and sleeps all night.

I would do as mum asks and wouldn't put lo for a sleep for a few days and see how he reacts. Some times lo doesn't need a sleep at home because they havent done much in the day to make them tired.

When they are with us they go to toddler groups and out for walks as well as running around all day with the other lo's and are worn out and need to sleep