PDA

View Full Version : Arghhh....I hate ofsted!!!

maisiemog
01-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Have just spent a ridiculous amount of time on the phone to Ofsted today. I am really not impressed!!! I rang them up to sort out a variation as one of my mindees wants to add an extra day on. That has been approved as it is continuity of care. (Happy about that part!!!)

Also my GP told me that they would probably want to know about the new medication I am on cos its likely to be long term. So I tell them that, they say thanks for letting us know. Think thats good all sorted. Then I get a phonecall from them asking for more details etc. To which I say I am not discussing my medical details with somebody in a call centre and that if they have any concerns I will speak to one of their medical team. Just had a nurse ring me....and now I have to have a blooming medical!!!!

I am a bit annoyed because I know that my medication will not affect my ability to care for the children...its not for any life threatening medical condition, its not for depression or anything like that. Really not impressed!! Have had my GP ring me to check this and even she said she was surprised at their reaction and will reassure them I am fit to do my job.

Ok rant over. Dont need any replied. Just wanted to vent!!!!

Twinkles
01-02-2012, 01:51 PM
One of my childminder friends had to have a medical when they found out she had a bad back ! :panic:

rickysmiths
01-02-2012, 03:08 PM
If the medication, in your GPs view would have no effect on your ability to do your job, why on earth did she tell you and why did you tell OFSTED.?

TooEarlyForGin?
01-02-2012, 03:59 PM
If the medication, in your GPs view would have no effect on your ability to do your job, why on earth did she tell you and why did you tell OFSTED.?

I'm afraid I'm with ricky here, I have suffered from a type of migraine headaches for years I am on a drug which inhibits them, I asked the doctor if there were any deterimental side effects, there was a catagorical no. They are purely to help my prevent my headaches (no more than someone regularly taking paracetamol, but these stop severe horrible headaches).

Strangely though I have just applied for a variation, and was called yesterday by an inspector - all good, then she started to ask me questions that haven't ever been asked before, such as "have you re-considered the impact that having a extra child will have on all your risk assessments?" I told her I filled in the on-line form telling them the steps I need to take for having an extra child, such as double buggy and extra travel cot, but she insisted I needed to re-do my risk-assessments. I am only asking for a possible 1 day every 6 weeks with 4 children and my current risk assessments for my car cover the fact that all children have appropriate car seats etc, they cover whether I have 1 or 6 children iyswim. Quite odd, as I have NEVER in my life, of regularly asking for variations, come across this.

miffy
01-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Just out of interest who do you have to have the medical with and do you have to pay for it?

Miffy xx

miffy
01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
One of my childminder friends had to have a medical when they found out she had a bad back ! :panic:

Blimey, I'm sure that could apply to lots of childminders (me included!)

Miffy xx

sarah707
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Hopefully the medical will pass without incident - I suppose at the end of the day they are protecting the children but they do go about it strangely sometimes :panic:

I hope you are ok xx

maisiemog
01-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm fine...not ill at all, well not in the normal sense, just have a few problems with my blood sugars, not diabetic but in the pre-diabetic stage. Feel absolutely fine.

I have no idea what will happen about the medical yet. I will receive an appt through the post but it will be within the next 14 days. And I dont think i have to pay for it....I hope not anyway!

I only told ofsted cos I was on the phone anyway. I just asked if it was one of the medications I needed to inform them about, the guy wasnt sure so he said he would put a record of it on my file and then get back to me if needed. And thats what happened. I dont think I helped my case when the nurse rang by being out of breath and finding it hard to talk to her....had just had to run after the cat to stop her escaping....shes just been done and not allowed out!

I agree that ofsted need to protect the children, and I am glad they do have these rules in that sense but its so annoying, espec as I reckon a fair few minders wouldnt have mentioned it, and it isnt exactly a major health issue!!

miffy
01-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I think it says more about Ofsted covering their own back than it says about your health :rolleyes:

Hope it's over and done with quickly for you.

Miffy xx