PDA

View Full Version : At the end of my teather

serenbach
01-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi.. I,m a newbee to this

I ve been childminding for nearly 6 yrs and have enjoyed every minute of it until recently.....

I mind a 3 yr old whose behaviour is diruptive to say the least.. He hits, pushes and shouts at other mindees, my own children and myself if he doesn t get his own way. I ve tried all the promoting positive behaviour strategies but can t seem to get through to him at all. It's now got to the stage that my own children dread him coming and will play in their bedrooms to stay out of his way!!

I really am at the end of my teather...I feel like a member of the United Nations. He's taking up so much of my time that the other mindees, not to mention my own children, aren't getting the attention they need and deserve.

I m feeling really guilty...any suggestions please...

candy cat
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
have you told parents how bad he is? have they not acted? If it is so bad and affecting my family I would give notice....probably sounds harsh, but if other children are getting hurt....poor you x

Happy Bunny
01-02-2012, 01:06 PM
have you told parents how bad he is? have they not acted? If it is so bad and affecting my family I would give notice....probably sounds harsh, but if other children are getting hurt....poor you x

Agree with this.
If your own children are suffering then I'm sorry but I would have to give notice.
If he is impacting on the care of the other minded children then the parents might give notice to you.
I once had a disruptive child and it affected my own children and other mindees, as much as I wanted to help this child I couldn't carry on as it would have had a detrimental effect on others. As well as my sanity levels.

serenbach
01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Hiya
Thanks for suggestios. I have spoken with mum but all she seems to do is make excuses for him. Will chat again with her at the end of the day and mention that if things dont improve I ll have to consider terminating contract due to the impact on other mindees.

Wish me luck...

The Juggler
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
hon, I would sit with parents and ask if this is happening at home. ask what they do to manage it. discuss a plan to work on it together.

Then, at yours I would shadow him and try to avert situations. i was on a training course last night and there is some evidence (esp. with biting) that if you can prevent and divert the behaviour for 2 weeks (i.e. put yourself in the way) without mentioning incident or what child is about to do, that the behaviour can just stop - it's like breaking the cycle.

Meanwhile, OTT praise for every time he IS playing nicely or does something kind. get him to help you with things or for himself and thank him and tell him how great it is.:thumbsup: