PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed. 18 month old who

kel1983
01-02-2012, 09:16 AM
The end of last year we took on an 18 month old who likes to play with everything but the toys. Any electrical item anything left on the side, and doesnt stay still for longer than 10 seconds.

We are constantly moving her away from items and try to get her to play with toys but she sits for about 10 seconds and then goes back to what she was doing previously.

Its so frustrating some days. Constntly having to move her away from things

Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with her. She is contrcted to come 4 days a week but this month only going to be with us mondys and wednesdays which is a little lightt relief.

catlyn
01-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I'd be interested in how to deal with this as well...i have 20 month old twin grandsons and one of those is not the slightest bit interested in toys...he makes a beeline for the telly remote, mobile phone, or cameras as soon as he comes in...eevn when they are put out of reach or sight, he still wanders around looking for anything to play with that isnt a toy.....wires and plugs are his favourites at the minute :panic:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2012, 09:34 AM
so get yourself down the bootsales and find some faulty/old/cheap REAL stuff and give child that - i am sure you have old cameras/remotes/mobiles lying around.

Obviously some stuff may have to be supervised carefully if they are heavy for example.

hands on learning in action

kel1983
01-02-2012, 09:41 AM
so get yourself down the bootsales and find some faulty/old/cheap REAL stuff and give child that - i am sure you have old cameras/remotes/mobiles lying around.

Obviously some stuff may have to be supervised carefully if they are heavy for example.

hands on learning in action

Yes already done this. Have old mobile phones, keyboards etc still goes got the real working stuff. Even moved most stuff out of reach.

Carol M
01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I have 2 x 18mths and they love my " loose parts box" as already said contents include, phones , remotes,keyboards,calculators,pipes and connectors (plumbing) plugs and chains (sink) petrol can, funnels,keys,window wipers,glasses cases, purses,handbags,all sorts of kitchen things that are safe to play with, things I got from resource exchange like, tubes and all sorts of offcuts from manufacturing eg plastic glasses lenses .
They love playing with these.
carol xx

sarah707
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
That sounds brilliant Carol!! I want one...

I have a lo who is heavily into anything he shouldn't touch as well - mostly the computer on / off button today driving dd (who was doing college work) potty! :laughing:

It's a phase and it will pass.... I keep telling myself :D

kel1983
01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
That sounds brilliant Carol!! I want one...

I have a lo who is heavily into anything he shouldn't touch as well - mostly the computer on / off button today driving dd (who was doing college work) potty! :laughing:

It's a phase and it will pass.... I keep telling myself :D

Yes hopefully the phase will pass very soon.

Love your idea too Carol :clapping:

kindredspirits
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
ha - some phase. DS started this at 10months - he'll be 5 in a fortnight and still plays with everything other than toys - except now he knows what he's doing!! he swapped all the sim cards in our mobile phones around this morning whilst i was preoccupied and he's changed the password on his dads tablet thingy to his own password, and changed the background picture to one of his favourite home phones!!!! :rolleyes::laughing: when he grows up he tells me hes going to work in carphone warehouse!!

Vickster
01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
My friends son is like this, (now 8) when he was 4 and my son was 2 they were page boys in France. My son was bribed to walk down the aisle with a bag of haribo sweets, he was bribed with a French extension lead....he hasn't changed he asks for things that his Mum has never heard of...