PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

NicoleW
01-02-2012, 08:03 AM
My new mindee started on monday, they said they are potty training him and he will go if the potty is in sight but whenever they try and put proper underwear on him he wets himself.

Now he's been getting really upset whenever I ask him if he can sit on the potty for me, so I've just let him kind of get on with it until he settles in.

He is in a proper nappy and not a pullup, though they pack him proper underwear in his bag.

How long shall I give him til I start potty training him here? A couple of weeks and then straight into underwear? I think the only problem I'll get is that I have a playgroup everyday so would I have to stay at home with him and not go to playgroups until he's cracked the potty training?

AliceK
01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Do you have a potty training policy? Mine states that parents need to take time at home, min of a week recommended to get their child dry for 90% of the time before I will accept a child in normal underwear. I will support a child who is ready and has successfully started at home but I wont do the job for the parents. I cant have constant wee / poo all over my carpets / sofas etc. It's not just the mess it's a health and safety issue too. (My DD had an accident a few days ago on my carpet. I have cleaned it 3 times and steam cleaned it but I just cannot get the stain out!)

xxxxx

JCrakers
01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
My belief and experience is if children are ready to be potty trained, it usually takes about a week.I have trained children inbetween 20months and 3.5yrs.
If its the correct time and you really 'go for it' it can be done in a matter of days but if you drag it out, it could go on for months.

I take them if they are in pullups to start with so they are easy to pull up and down for the potty. Only when they are capable of holding their wee in or showing strong signs of wanting to use the potty/toilet we can then go onto pants. I stay in for 1 week, which is a pain but does the trick and when we go on school run they wear pullups.

My latest mindee held her wee in all day as she didnt want to release it...which wasnt good so We decided to wait a couple of months..then she was dry in 5 days.
I will not have wee all over the floor with crawling babies as all I have to do is turn my back for a second and baby will be in it.

I usually have a good idea if the child is ready or not. If they are not then we go back and start another time.
If he doesnt want to sit on the potty I would say hes not ready. How old is he?

NicoleW
01-02-2012, 11:14 AM
He will be 3 in July.

I personally don't think he is ready and I don't think I have a potty training policy! :O

I'm new to childminding and this is my first one that is being in the process. I have a 13 month old atm and the parent stated from day one that she will take a couple of weeks off work to potty train him as she wants to do it which is nice.

He's been at home for 5 months with mum as she's only just got a job after being made redundant ..

candy cat
01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
it has to be consistant......no nappies/pull ups at all during day..... he will just wait for nappy so he can then wee. i have a policy to say they have to start at home at least for a week.

FizzWizz
01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Reading the above I think I def need to do a potty training policy as I can see this becoming an issue in my setting soon!

I think it is right that parents should start potty training their child at home (and I did this with my DD) but I am curious about how you approach this with parents - can you still charge them for this week when it is you asking them to take the time? (my mindees parents send her in whether they are on hols or not and would not take kindly to it prob!!!) Any advice appreciated...

Tatjana
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Reading the above I think I def need to do a potty training policy as I can see this becoming an issue in my setting soon!

I think it is right that parents should start potty training their child at home (and I did this with my DD) but I am curious about how you approach this with parents - can you still charge them for this week when it is you asking them to take the time? (my mindees parents send her in whether they are on hols or not and would not take kindly to it prob!!!) Any advice appreciated...

I don't see it like this, it's their child they're taking time off work for, not for your benefit!

NicoleW
02-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Okay so when he arrived this morning I took his nappy off and gave him ''big boy pants''.

I went in to get snacks and upon entering the front room I saw his jens were soaking, I said "oh x are your trousers wet?" He said "I know, nappy on now"

I think I'm going to approach his dad tonight at pickup and suggest he goes back into nappies for atleast 4 weeks while he truley settles with me and then try again, is this a good idea or do you think he's wetting because he knows he'll get a nappy back on and it's 'easier' ?

caz3007
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Poor little chap, he has a lot on his plate, potty training and settling in with you. I would suggest that they continue at home, but you have him in trainers for a while until he settles. I looked after a LO who was a similar age, and he just wouldnt use the potty here, wet himself, so mum was happy to continue at home and then when she had it sorted (he was only here 2 days a week) then we did it here with no problems.

I have a mum who has taken a weeks holiday next week to potty train, she wasnt going to, but I kept saying she had to, but I hope I am wrong, I dont think LO is ready yet, but we will see