PDA

View Full Version : Childminding with a dog?

Nads75
31-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Hello everybody,

My first post! My name is Nadia and I have not even been to my first briefing session yet but I am hoping to become a childminder so I wanted to get some help and advice regarding my dog. He is a two year old Staffie and lives with myself, dh and our two girls (Ruby who is 6 and Lois who is 14 months) we also have my step son Liam a few days a week who is 13. What I wanted to know is are there any childminders out there who have dogs (particulary a breed that seem to scare people :( ) and how they manage, does it put off potential clients? Do you put in in your advertising so people who may be uncomfortable do not contact you, and also what do you do with your pet once children are placed, so muzzled? crate? none of the above etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

AliceK
31-01-2012, 04:15 PM
When I started minding I had a very large black dog, he would go mad barking at anyone who knocked the door and sounded really fierce but once they were in he was fine and the most laid back dog ever. He wasn't used to being shut away so he was always part of the action so to speak although I would take him with me when I was apart from the children so when I went into the kitchen to do lunch / tea. He died 18mths ago and 9 months ago I got another dog. I went for a Springer Spaniel but I have bought him up to have a crate as his bed. Because he is a puppy and still jumpy and excitable he can only mix with the LO's for short periods when I am supervising. He is usually in the kitchen / den. I always advertise that I have a dog then the people who may be against this don't need to contact me. I am full and have always been full or as full as I wanted to be so it hasn't caused me any problems. Make sure you have written RA for the dog and can show Ofsted how the children will be kept safe. I'm sure you'll be fine :thumbsup:
xxxx

MaryMary
31-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I also have a springer. He is 2 1/2 now and I have had him since he was a pup. He has been crate trained, and is often found in his crate even when the children aren't here. He is kept separate from the children as he has a toy stealing habit :o He is especially partial to soft toys. My Lo (2) brings her 'precious' raggedty old cat with her daily, and I can't imagine the trauma it would cause if he ripped it apart before her eyes!! :panic:

He is kept in the kitchen during the day, but comes out on walks with us to the park, woods, etc. In the summer he can stay in the garden, in a fenced off area. If I only have older children after school, and they are watching TV/playing DS or similar he comes in then. From experience I find it easier (for me!) to keep him separate.

I don't advertise that I have a dog (also have a cat & rabbit), but I mention it when people phone. It is in FIS website that I have pets.

Hopefully people won't believe all the bad press that staffies get, and will realise that it more to do with the owners. I have a pet policy, and have risk assessed the dog & other pets.