PDA

View Full Version : Having a dog

Nads75
31-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Hello everybody,

My first post! My name is Nadia and I have not even been to my first briefing session yet but I am hoping to become a childminder so I wanted to get some help and advice regarding my dog. He is a two year old Staffie and lives with myself, dh and our two girls (Ruby who is 6 and Lois who is 14 months) we also have my step son Liam a few days a week who is 13. What I wanted to know is are there any childminders out there who have dogs (particulary a breed that seem to scare people :( ) and how they manage, does it put off potential clients? Do you put in in your advertising so people who may be uncomfortable do not contact you, and also what do you do with your pet once children are placed, so muzzled? crate? none of the above etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

breezy
31-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi just wanted to welcome you to the forum, lots of people childmind with dogs, it shouldnt be a problem, but I'll leave them to advise you incase I get it wrong!

Fraggle1
31-01-2012, 06:57 PM
hiya!

I've got a dog, she's only a minnie Schnauzer but still the same would apply to whatever dog you had. I advertise that I have a dog and a cat and at least they can make there mind up whether to see me or not. Our animals are part of the family and I teach the children to respect our pets. I would NEVER EVER leave a minded child with my pets unsupervised. I put in risk assessments and she is in the kitchen with a child gate on. I will bring her in to the living room for strokes and cuddles (she loves kids) but then I will put her back in the kitchen away from the mayhem. It works really well and my first set of parents wanted a family with a dog/cat/both. hope this helps x

poppy1
31-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi i have been a cm for years and always had pets and dogs.
I have a Great Dane so rather large.
i tell parents on first contact (phone or e-mail) i have a dog.
it has never ever been a problem.
i am constantly full so good luck hope all goes well for you.
even ofsted were happy :)

Pipsqueak
31-01-2012, 07:27 PM
3 pooches here
I put on my advertising i have mutts
I ensure that people know upon first contact (phone/email) that I have dogs.

Its rarely been a problem - those who have choosen not to use me BECAUSE of the dogs have number 2 families in 10 years. The dogs have been a selling point tbh.

With good management of the dogs AND kids then its never been a problem

Nads75
01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Thank you, I am very pleased to hear that. The dog will be in the kitchen with a safety gate etc. so he will only greet the children on my supervision, and of course i would never leave my own children with my dog so would not leave other peoples children alone with him either. Hooray! I can begin my new career. :clapping:

lulubelle
01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I was told that you couldn't childmind with a dog that's a recognised dangerous bread, is a staffie recognised as dangerous? I'd double check with ofsted.
I got a puppy after I started minding, he's a shiz Tzu cross and stays in the hall/crate but comes in with supervision. All my mindees said they were scared of dogs but only one is still scared and the others love him!

poppy1
01-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Staffies are not dangerous some just have bad owners.
many childminders i know have them.

onceinabluemoon
01-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Honestly? These dogs have a very bad press on the whole and people tend to judge the breed rather than the dog rightly or wrongly. You may find you don't get some work because of having a dog, more likely to lose work for having a dog which Joe Public considers dangerous. But equally there will be others who don't mind at all.

Years ago it was GSD/alsations, in a few years it will be something else.

Interesting comment from Lulabelle (which funnily enough is my springers nickname!!), did you know shih tzus are actually not recommended to have with children because they can suffer from small dog syndrome and are more likely to be snappy or aggressive! http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shihtzu.htm I was amazed as I think they're gorgeous!!

lulubelle
01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
All I said was are they recognized dangerous and about what i was told in my briefing sessions! I actually done s lot of research before I brought my puppy and everything I found said they were one of the best small dogs to have with young children as aren't too fragile, snappy etc I also made sure he came from a breader with small children

betty boop
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I have a jack russal cross lassa apso (think thats how you spell it) and he is really good with kids but I always but on my adds that i have a dog and tell people when i first speak to them. I think some people are put off if you have a dog but also on the pluss side some people want a childminder with a dog or cat ect. becouse they want there children to be around animals but for what ever reason cant have one them selves.

singlewiththree
02-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Thank you, I am very pleased to hear that. The dog will be in the kitchen with a safety gate etc. so he will only greet the children on my supervision, and of course i would never leave my own children with my dog so would not leave other peoples children alone with him either. Hooray! I can begin my new career. :clapping:

You may need to change that as the health inspector won't like having a dog in a kitchen when you make food, unless you put it outside when you feed the kids? There are some areas where you get inspected by a health inspector, at the moment I'm lucky and we don't but I know its going to change. I'm dreading it.

NicoleW
02-02-2012, 08:56 AM
I have a German Shepherd cross Husky, I have a Boxer as well who is about 7 months old, and I have a cat, 1 bearded dragon, 1 peublen milk snake, 1 sinaloan milk snake and 1 brazilian rainbow boa.

I'm hoping to get some frogs in a couple of months, I'd like some Dart Frogs but they are poisonous so I think it'll be too risky eventhough I already have my Dangerous Wild Animals Licence (I used to have a croc)

NicoleW
02-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Oh yes and my pooches have a crate in the kitchen that nobody is allowed near when the dogs are in. I explain to parents that their crate is their safe haven, it's their bedroom and everyone in the house us included are to respect their privacy when the retreat there so we musn't go near it.

The crate is in the kitchen, which is blocked off by a safety gate.

During the day they are normally outside when the weather is nice, my Boxer loves to sunbathe and my GSD cross has masses amounts of fur he gets overheated in the house, this current weather is perfect for him and it's a battle to get him into the house at night time!

I like to explain the benefits of dogs to potential parents, especially those who are concerned. It teaches them about how to take care and behave around dogs, dog safety i.e. not to approach dogs they don't know, to let dogs sniff their hand and stroke them on their chest. Good security system, plenty of exercise throwing the ball for them in the park. Don't forget the important, lovely feet warmers on a cold day!

Having an nice cuddle with my daughter :)

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk292/NicoleWild/IMG_2718.jpg