PDA

View Full Version : How many people work 9am to 3pm term time only?

vix84
31-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Hiya, I currently work random hours childminding and have 2 boys and another on the way. Im thinking of taking 2 years off work if I can and then either finding an evening job 3 nights a week or only Childminding after the morning school run and up until collecting me eldest at 330pm. I just find my eldest doesn't particularly enjoy my long working hours and want our home to be his after school and be able to give him my 100% attention once home.
I think I need to earn about £100 a week so would need to work a few evenings a week to do this, not sure doing what yet, or have 2 mindee's between 9am and 3pm but want this term time only.

Does anyone work these hours? Hoping Id find people who need these hours, maybe for mums who have children at school and a toddler but work the school hours etc.

miffy
31-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Nope but it sounds lovely hours! Hope it works out for you

Miffy xx

marian
31-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I used to have 2 different children who were dropped off before the morning school run and then collected before the afternoon school run :) it was lovely!
Both of these parents worked for the health service in the community.

Marian x

AgentTink
31-01-2012, 01:35 PM
No i dont do those hours but I do 8 til 4 Monday to Friday which is pretty good, however this is all year round.

If you wanted to only do the hours you suggest you would have to do lots of advertisements stating this as your selling point and maybe offering a special price for anybody who wishes to only use your services Term time only.

A few childminders i know look after teachers children, however the teachers need them to work from 8 until anywhere between 4 and 6, it depends on the work load of the teacher.

rosebud
31-01-2012, 01:37 PM
All my LO's are collected before the afternoon school run and I only have one after schooler 2 nights a week so finish at 3pm 3 days a week. I start at 7.30am though and have to work school holidays too.

The Juggler
31-01-2012, 01:45 PM
only jobs I can think of is:

Teaching assistants (though you sometimes have to work later than 3.00)

nursery wraparound care our nursery wraparound care ladies finish at 3pm or 3.10 depending on latest collection which is supposed to be 3pm.

job in a preschool which finishes at 3pm.

you might have to start before 0900 though so might have to do breakfast club for yours maybe??

Most shop jobs don't fit in with school hours or if you do you'd be cutting it fine to reach school in time, plus they usually need the odd later finish and weekends :eek::laughing:

I hope you find something hon. You could always advertise for children term-time only??? i work for a lot of teachers/school staff and these children often finish at 3.30/4pm if the parents work very locally :thumbsup:

vix84
31-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I guess it would need a lot of advertising and waiting for the right family who need these hours, I know some people who have asked for 9am to 1pm etc. but in the hols too. We have put some money away so I can have the extra year off work but would advertise for that year term time 9 till 3 just incase it came along.

Failing that I think Id enjoy working in a hotel a few evenings a week as a waitress or something, no paperwork or endless toys and equipment!! :clapping:

vix84
31-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh yes when all of mine are at school Im hoping to work in a pre-school or nursery between school hours but would want to drop and collect my own children (want it all lol) and term-time only, I guess I need to just save some money and hold out for the right job. Have been doing between 730am and 6pm for the last 4 years and am just at the end of the road with it now, can't keep up with working full-time, my OH isnt around 3 days a week and leaves the house at 7am and the washing and paperwork just keeps piling up.

Although, I am feeling really good about being able to cut back on work after the next baby, but would then like a 4th baby so have another 5 or 6 years yet before all of my own children are at school so will need to do some evenings or childmind part-time hours whilst I have my own youngest at home.

The Juggler
31-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I guess it would need a lot of advertising and waiting for the right family who need these hours, I know some people who have asked for 9am to 1pm etc. but in the hols too. We have put some money away so I can have the extra year off work but would advertise for that year term time 9 till 3 just incase it came along.

Failing that I think Id enjoy working in a hotel a few evenings a week as a waitress or something, no paperwork or endless toys and equipment!! :clapping:

if you advertise well in advance and target school staff, you'd be surprised what a pull it is to parents who don't want to pay a retainer for school hols. I don't have a waiting list (I won't) but I am currently turning down 3 people who want care for the next few months who are teachers and don't want to pay a retainer for the holiday. Yes I finish at 5.30pm with some teachers but I don't work holidays and ONLY have the babies not big ones after school. It makes such a difference to my own kids to have their space back :thumbsup:

Annabelle
31-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Hiya, I do roughly those hours, give or take.
(My eldest is at school and my youngest doesn't start school for another 2 years)
Its worked out really well (at the moment!) my 6yr old likes having the kids here for a little bit but then has time with me, which we both appreciate, it also give me time to do homework with her and we could do after school activities that I dont reacon she'd be able to do as easily if I had 3 other young ones in tow!
I am also term time only, so get all the holidays with the daughters, which means alot plus I dont think I could cope!
I obviously dont earn nearly as much as I could or that husband wants me to, but I chose childminding as a work life balance that not many other jobs can offer.
So far, I've been really REALLY lucky with the children and parents and have also had several enquiries, so there is certainly people out there wanting term time only hours.
Good Luck!

vix84
31-01-2012, 01:59 PM
if you advertise well in advance and target school staff, you'd be surprised what a pull it is to parents who don't want to pay a retainer for school hols. I don't have a waiting list (I won't) but I am currently turning down 3 people who want care for the next few months who are teachers and don't want to pay a retainer for the holiday. Yes I finish at 5.30pm with some teachers but I don't work holidays and ONLY have the babies not big ones after school. It makes such a difference to my own kids to have their space back :thumbsup:

I always thought teachers finished and left at 3pm, lol, wrong! I think if I agreed to finish later than my school run time I would regret it, also thinking of just getting a 6 seater car and if I have my own 4 children I wouldnt fit them all in after school. I guess I will try to find an evening waitressing job while my own children arent at school and then a pre-school job once at school. But will advertise for term time only 9am to 3pm childminding just in case someone needs those hours, may just take a while to find

Tippy Toes
31-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I dont work these hours but must admit they do sound like perfect hours if you have children.

I would just advertise that these are the hours you have available for childcare, im sure there must be someone out there who needs the hours you would like to work.

Hope things work out for you, good luck xx

mama2three
31-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I childmind tto for 2 teachers - both of them drop their children at 730 , and pick up between 5 and 6. Not a particularly long commute either , around 20 mins tops. They simply have a lot of work , planning , meetings etc! really you would need half an hour after dropping off and before picking up too , so would be looking at 930 - 3 ( if school ends at 330).
I do know what you mean about your eldest preferring his mum to himself after school - but having a baby around til later may be better than having you go out to work in the evening and missing the bedtime hour? Remember you wouldnt be over-run with mindees , the max is 2 when you have 4 of your own!

loocyloo
31-01-2012, 02:25 PM
i have children who do 9/9/30- 2.30/3.00 and 1 of those stays till 4 one day a week. its usually mums who have older children at school and want the day to themselves/work in peace!!! i also have a child using funded hours, and i offer these within the school day, as otherwise so much is taken up on the school run!

my mums are really grateful that i offer 'short' school hour days. although they all sometimes come in the holidays too, giving mum time with the older child/ren !!!

Helen79
31-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I didn't plan on just working these hours but somehow I've managed to get 3 children who all need these hours :clapping:
It works well at the minute, I didn't advertise to work these hours, it just worked out this way. I still advertise for after school children but all the schools have after school clubs.

winstonian
31-01-2012, 05:15 PM
I look after a little boy whose mum is a midday supervisor - he comes 10.30-1.30 and a little girl whose aunty picks her up twice a week, 1 day she stops until 5 the other 2 days she goes at 2 or 2.30.
It can be done just maybe slightly harder to find.
Good luck

blue bear
31-01-2012, 06:11 PM
all four of mine did those hours, now have two that do those hours and others that do more, but when one leaves in September I have another starting school hours only.
none of my parents are teachers but work those hours for various reasons or one family dad goes to work early and mum finishes late so i just do the bit in the middle.
best to target parents with children already in school and a little one as this seems to be the biggest reason for parents only wanting school hours.

ChocolateChip
31-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I've had a few who only want 'school hours' care for their youngest as they take their older children to and from school. In fact two of them I meet and handover in the playground!
I do also have schoolies and other lo's who do a full day but just saying there are the parents out there. My normal rate is 3.50 an hour, but I pitch the school day fees at £22, to make it competitive with our nursery which offers flexi time hours. I am currently selling 4 days to one customer and three to another so easily over £100 a week. The same parents are also tto, it's only a couple of others who come in the hols.

The Juggler
31-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I always thought teachers finished and left at 3pm, lol, wrong! I think if I agreed to finish later than my school run time I would regret it, also thinking of just getting a 6 seater car and if I have my own 4 children I wouldnt fit them all in after school. I guess I will try to find an evening waitressing job while my own children arent at school and then a pre-school job once at school. But will advertise for term time only 9am to 3pm childminding just in case someone needs those hours, may just take a while to find

well one of my mums works elsewhere and a few others prefer to stay and get some marking done at school plus odd meetings etc. so over the years parents have picked up variously between 4pm and 6pm. However, if they like you AND really don't want the retainer, they might pick up early and do their marking at home. Several of my teachers/schools staff work at my children's school and I have dropped off in the playground once they dismiss the children so that could work :thumbsup:

stardust
31-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Hiya, I currently work random hours childminding and have 2 boys and another on the way. Im thinking of taking 2 years off work if I can and then either finding an evening job 3 nights a week or only Childminding after the morning school run and up until collecting me eldest at 330pm. I just find my eldest doesn't particularly enjoy my long working hours and want our home to be his after school and be able to give him my 100% attention once home.
I think I need to earn about £100 a week so would need to work a few evenings a week to do this, not sure doing what yet, or have 2 mindee's between 9am and 3pm but want this term time only.

Does anyone work these hours? Hoping Id find people who need these hours, maybe for mums who have children at school and a toddler but work the school hours etc.

Sign up for the enhanced provision you can choose your hours x My amazing childminding mentor has children that are picked up after the school run and dropped off just before the school collection. I think its all year round though but maybe you could arrange with the parents to do extra days in the term time? I get £288 for my enhanced provision child who does 2 days a week. so 2 would be £576 a month x

FussyElmo
01-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Well I work for teachers and the school is 5 minutes walk away and they drop of at 8 and pick up between 4-5 depending on clubs meeting etc.

The hours you are looking at are not teachers hours maybe ta's or people who work school hours and have family helping out in the holidays.

Hope it works out for you as they do sound lovely hours to work :thumbsup:

vix84
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Sign up for the enhanced provision you can choose your hours x My amazing childminding mentor has children that are picked up after the school run and dropped off just before the school collection. I think its all year round though but maybe you could arrange with the parents to do extra days in the term time? I get £288 for my enhanced provision child who does 2 days a week. so 2 would be £576 a month x

Hiya, what is this? Not heard of enhanced provision before?

NicoleW
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I do 8am - 4pm term time only and it's lovely :)

stardust
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Hiya, what is this? Not heard of enhanced provision before?

Looking after children who receives a government funded childcare place (under 3) from social care/ placement officers.

Basically families are refered by a health visitor/ doctor to the enhanced placement provision who then take the families circumstances and mark it against set criteria to gain 'points' the families with the most points are offered funded childcare by the enhanced provision team.

Families can be funded for a number of reasons
* Disabilities and additional needs (child)
* Disabilities and additional needs (parent)
* Depression (parent)
* lots of children under a certain age
* under social care
ect not all children have problems or issues, most of the enhanced provision i know are normal children okay so they may not be as developed as private children but they are not necessary naughty or anything.

If you contact you local family information service/ DO ect they should be able to tell you if you have enhanced provision in your area and your requirements.

x

loocyloo
01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Looking after children who receives a government funded childcare place (under 3) from social care/ placement officers.

Basically families are refered by a health visitor/ doctor to the enhanced placement provision who then take the families circumstances and mark it against set criteria to gain 'points' the families with the most points are offered funded childcare by the enhanced provision team.

Families can be funded for a number of reasons
* Disabilities and additional needs (child)
* Disabilities and additional needs (parent)
* Depression (parent)
* lots of children under a certain age
* under social care
ect not all children have problems or issues, most of the enhanced provision i know are normal children okay so they may not be as developed as private children but they are not necessary naughty or anything.

If you contact you local family information service/ DO ect they should be able to tell you if you have enhanced provision in your area and your requirements.

x

this sounds like the funding for (disadvantaged) 2 yr olds. my area is currently in a pilot for it, and it 'should' be countrywide from september 2012 or maybe 2013! in our area you have to be an accrediated childminder to provide the funded sessions, just like you would, if you offered the nursery funding.

shazza06
07-03-2012, 09:03 PM
ive actually only ever worked termtime only for teachers and generally worked shorter hours and actually am inundated for this sept!! I have two babies who are basically 8/9--4.30 ish and if i took on all mindees that want work in sept would have 6 kids every day on good hours!!! however..last year i really struggled to get work