PDA

View Full Version : baby walkers ??

CJ Thorn
31-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi,
Am i right in thinking that babywalkers aren't recommended to be used in a childminding setting.
I have just had a play date with a newly registered friend,and she mentioned the use of walkers...i thought i would just double check before i mention anything to her.xx

Tealady
31-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I've not heard anything, My little mindee used to go to another childminder on my day off. She is "Outstanding" and uses baby walkers.

I only don't use them as I personally don't like them, not because I've heard they are not approved off.

Sorry but not sure if that was much help!:rolleyes:

nancienoodles
31-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi. I've just finished my CYPOP5 course and in the book that accompanies the course ("Homebased childcare" - p72) it advises childminders against using walkers and says there is a danger that babies can over balance in them and this could cause an accident. Also it states that there is evidence that walkers can actually hinder a child's development. I've not got baby walkers as I have wooden floors and can forsee there is potential for a high-speed crash!! Hope this helps.
Nancie x

amirose
31-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I use one but I have very thick carpet and it doesn't move. I use it as a highchair and somewhere safe to put baby when there are lots of children here as she is still not sitting up. However, as I say, the carpet means the "walker" stays wherever I put it.
If you do use one its really important that you adjust it so they can place their feet flat on the floor.