PDA

View Full Version : Nappy Recycling

Annabelle
31-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone uses any nappy recycling companies or if anyone has any good recycling tips!??

Our bins in Bristol have been reduced so I am rethinking all my recycling options. We already recycle plastic, tins, glass, food waste, cardboard/paper.

I am thinking about using a nappy recycling service, this is a chargeable service and I plan on checking with my parents to see whether they are happy to pay about £3 extra a month to pay for the service, what do you think?

Also anyone got any advice about these services? I've heard of Go Green Bottoms, but thats it.

Many thanks!

AliceK
31-01-2012, 12:28 PM
We are also have a limit to the amount of rubbish we can leave out here as from April. I've told parents I will be sending their childrens nappies home with them at the end of the day :blush:
I didn't know about nappy recycling. If it was cheap enough I would be interested in it.

xxx

muffins
31-01-2012, 01:02 PM
We dont have nappy recycling here but we do have limited bin space, I send nappies home with Lo's at the end of the day! Just make sure you double bag any soiled ones:thumbsup:

Annabelle
31-01-2012, 01:51 PM
My husband had suggested sending home dirty nappies, but I had laughed it off - are parents really alright with taking home the nappies?!

I've since found out Go Green Bottoms dont cover my area yet.

catminder
31-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't dream of sending home my mindees' dirty nappies - I'm assuming we're talking disposables? If I was struggling to fit them all in the bin I'd probably get one of those chimneas and burn them. :thumbsup:

Tippy Toes
31-01-2012, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't send them home at the end of the day, but if you don't have a choice then what are you to do.

I think £3 a month sounds reasonable, explain to the parents about the bin waste being reduced so options are either £3 a month nappy recycling or nappies will have to be sent home at the end of the day. I'm sure they would be OK with the £3 a month.

Hope you get it sorted xx

Stormy
31-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone uses any nappy recycling companies or if anyone has any good recycling tips!??

Our bins in Bristol have been reduced so I am rethinking all my recycling options. We already recycle plastic, tins, glass, food waste, cardboard/paper.

I am thinking about using a nappy recycling service, this is a chargeable service and I plan on checking with my parents to see whether they are happy to pay about £3 extra a month to pay for the service, what do you think?

Also anyone got any advice about these services? I've heard of Go Green Bottoms, but thats it.

Many thanks!

Thanks for this post I had never heard of Go Green Bottoms before I have just called them and they do service my area. They actually collect on my normal bin day too.I have wanted to recycle nappies for a while and exhausted all my options about a year ago so happy I can now go ahead and do my further green bit.

appleblossom
31-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Just looked at Go Green Bottoms' website. As we are home based do we count as Home or Business clients?

Also how many nappies are covered by the cheaper package. I get through about 42 to 45 per week.

AliceK
31-01-2012, 04:22 PM
It's not that I want to send home dirty nappies but as I get through about 40 a week and come april we will only be allowed to put out 1 x Black sack per week I won't have any other option. 40 nappies take up a lot of space :eek:.

xxx

muffins
31-01-2012, 06:18 PM
It's not that I want to send home dirty nappies but as I get through about 40 a week and come april we will only be allowed to put out 1 x Black sack per week I won't have any other option. 40 nappies take up a lot of space :eek:.

xxx

Same here! I have all littlies atm so getting through about that too:rolleyes:
I have no other choice but to send them home:thumbsup:

appleblossom
31-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Well I contacted Green Bottoms and they don't cove my town at the moment:(

NicoleW
01-02-2012, 08:29 AM
We use cloth nappies here :D

Playmate
01-02-2012, 08:51 AM
For those of you who are having your collections reduced, have you checked with your local council to see if they have nappy sacks. We only have rubbish collected once a fortnight and we have inexcess of 50-60 nappies per week. We can by White sacks from out our council for 10p each and they can put next to our bin. However I'm looking for an alternative before the summer as 120 nappies by collection day is going to stink :panic: At the moment the white sack is kept out side in a dustbin which is fine in the winter.

AliceK
01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
For those of you who are having your collections reduced, have you checked with your local council to see if they have nappy sacks. We only have rubbish collected once a fortnight and we have inexcess of 50-60 nappies per week. We can by White sacks from out our council for 10p each and they can put next to our bin. However I'm looking for an alternative before the summer as 120 nappies by collection day is going to stink :panic: At the moment the white sack is kept out side in a dustbin which is fine in the winter.

I'm scared of calling the council incase they decide I'm a business and want me to pay for business rubbish collections :blush:

xxx

Jules12Wed
01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I've just looked and it says £12.00 per month so £3 per week. Couldn't find anywhere though to search what areas they cover.

Annabelle
01-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I've just looked and it says £12.00 per month so £3 per week. Couldn't find anywhere though to search what areas they cover.

I emailed Go Green Bottoms and they replied that day to say which areas they cover.

I phoned my council to request a bigger bin as I work from home, but they said it would be chargeable service through a private company.

I dont seem to find a company that covers the Bristol area at the moment. Unless the ones who take incontinence stuff would, but I doubt they recycle.

I just dont think I can ask parents to take them with them, some of the nappies are just horrendous!

AliceK
01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I emailed Go Green Bottoms and they replied that day to say which areas they cover.

I phoned my council to request a bigger bin as I work from home, but they said it would be chargeable service through a private company.

I dont seem to find a company that covers the Bristol area at the moment. Unless the ones who take incontinence stuff would, but I doubt they recycle.

I just dont think I can ask parents to take them with them, some of the nappies are just horrendous!

I havent asked my parents I've told them :blush:. They are all aware of the new reduced rubbish rules coming in so I hope they understand. Mind you I'm not sure they realise that I'm serious. Maybe they think I'm only joking :rolleyes:

xxxxx