PDA

View Full Version : Do you exclude for flu?

funemnx
31-01-2012, 08:10 AM
A 3 1/2 year old I mind was sent home from playschool yesterday and I collected because mum didn't answer her phone :rolleyes:

She's texted today, saying the doctor has diagnosed flu (I know some people say flu when it's a bad cold but if the doc says it's flu....). I remember being off school for 3 weeks with the flu, but half excpecting her to bring him tomorrow.....

Would you exclude for something like this? I don't want to come accross heavy handed - he's very rarely had a day off in 3 years so mum's not going to be too happy about it!

rickysmiths
31-01-2012, 08:15 AM
If he isn't well enough to go to play group he isn't well enough to come to me. Personally I wouldn't pick a sick child up from playgroup or school either. That is the parents responsibility and the playgroups job to get hold of the parent. Unless you re down as an emergency contact of course.

funemnx
31-01-2012, 08:23 AM
I did ask playgroup to call mum if they were sending him home as he wasn't feeling that great. They tried several times to ring her but she didn't pick up which is when they rang me. When I called her she picked up straight away and picked him up within the hour. I'll have a word with playschool and mum remind them I'm not his emergency contact as I've filled the space he's at playschool. It's hard to say no when they phone though isn't it?:blush:

snufflepuff
31-01-2012, 08:38 AM
If it really is flu, then yes I'd exclude. I remember having it and it really is awful, I could barely move and felt so terrible. I was still weak and tired a month later! If you care for this child you will have to play nurse until he is better, which could be a few weeks. Not fair on you or the other children.

singingcactus
31-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes, I would exclude for flu. It's a horrible illness. Can't imagine the little guy being able to cope with anything if he has flu....having said that he would probably just crash out on the sofa and sleep the day away. But yes, I would exclude for flu. I couldn't even get out of bed the couple of times I've had it.

Pipsqueak
31-01-2012, 09:34 AM
True flu (and as you say the doctor has diagnosed) can be serious and can knock the patient for 6.

Therefore no I would not care for a chils with flu - a) the spread of infection b) it would seriously impact upon your day and the others care

onceinabluemoon
31-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Flu is one of the excludable diseases on the guidelines. it says children with flu should be excluded until recovered. More info here http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

Mollymop
31-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Flu can become quite serious, I have had proper influenza only once in my life and I was ill for over a week, so ill I couldn't hardly get out of bed. He needs to be kept at home like has already been said.
I am quite strict with my pre-school they wanted my phone number just incase they needed me - I explained to them that I was not the child's emergency contact once LO is at pre-school LO is no longer my responsibility so they were not to phone me when child is ill as I would refuse to collect.
If LO is not well enough to be at school/pre-school they are not well enough to be at mine.
Hope your LO is well soon bless him xx

Mouse
31-01-2012, 09:54 AM
If a doctor has diagnosed flu I would definitely exclude the child until they are better.

And like other people have said, you need to make it clear to pre-school that you are not his emergency contact. If you are not down on his form as one, I wouldn't have thought they should send him with you anyway.

Tippy Toes
31-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes I would exclude, a cold is one thing but flu! Child should be at home and I would not want my family or others in my setting to catch it.

xx

funemnx
31-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Many thanks folks! I will just have to get tough and call the mum before she arrives in the morning with him!

The Juggler
31-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I did ask playgroup to call mum if they were sending him home as he wasn't feeling that great. They tried several times to ring her but she didn't pick up which is when they rang me. When I called her she picked up straight away and picked him up within the hour. I'll have a word with playschool and mum remind them I'm not his emergency contact as I've filled the space he's at playschool. It's hard to say no when they phone though isn't it?:blush:

it is hard but you can do it hon. remember, you can say you can't because you have other children to consider. especially if you are NOT the emergency contact :(

stargazer1
31-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm pre-registered but look after two of my friends kids over the space of three days a week at the moment. (Unpaid!! - just practice). I have had to put my foot down a bit tho (already, and with friends which I wasn't expecting) but both parents drop their kids with me regardless of their health etc. I know children gets coughs and colds fairly regularly but when its tummy bugs, serious colds, chicken pox etc, I've been expected to have them anyway. I have two children of my own and my poor kids have taken a pasting this winter, they've had everything. I wish people would be more considerate when you are taking their children into your home. Their germs settle here!! I have now had to tell both parents that basically, apart from a common cough/cold, I will not be able to take their children until they are well. I know we are childcarers (well, I will be soon!) but I still believe very strongly that the child is the responsibility of their parent first and foremost. I would never dream of leaving one of mine poorly with someone else, mine get so clingy, so it shocks me sometimes how hard some parents appear to be when it comes to going to work.

nikki thomson
31-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi, if it's proper flu he won't be in any fit state to come to you and you should make mum aware your not going to have lo otherwise they'll be turning up on your doorstep half dead with mum going oh there fine abit if a cold. X