PDA

View Full Version : water jug

francinejayne
30-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I want to buy a jug so that the children can serve themselves water when they want to.

I plan to put it on a tray with some tea towels underneath to mop up inevitable spills, on my dining table so that the older children (thinking 2+) can help themselves, but the babies can't reach it.

I am looking for a good and easy to pour jug - I have a few but they are rubbish and the water spills when you pour it - does anyone know of any specific for children's use?

Thanks!

zippy
30-01-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't uppose you have a low fridge do you if you do betterware do a fab juice cooler with a push button for about £4 it's excellent

sarah707
31-01-2012, 08:13 AM
We bought a thermos type jug with a button on the top - the children put their cup on the table under the spout and press the button.

We find it works great in the garden as well as the house and keep it on a tray to protect the floor inside.

We got it from Makro.

Hth :D

rickysmiths
31-01-2012, 08:17 AM
We bought a thermos type jug with a button on the top - the children put their cup on the table under the spout and press the button.

We find it works great in the garden as well as the house and keep it on a tray to protect the floor inside.

We got it from Makro.

Hth :D

This is what I have. I wouldn't let them start helping themselves from a jug until they were at least 3-4yrs.

Daftbat
31-01-2012, 08:19 AM
I think that getting 3 year olds to pour their own water is asking for trouble to be honest. I think from experience that they need to be older - at least school age. I have jugs of water that the older ones can pour whenever they want but I just ensure that beakers are kept replenished and in easy reach all the time.

samb
31-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I personally use individual bottles (sports for older ones and one with a straw for younger ones) which I top up as necessary.

miffy
31-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I bought a small jug from the pound shop - think it was meant to be a camping jug and it had four small cups inside it. It's ideal for the younger ones tp pour from as it's not too big or heavy, yes we get occasional spills but they are much better at pouring than I thought they would be.

Miffy xx

Dragonfly
01-02-2012, 07:24 AM
I'd like Sarahs jug for the spring/summer(for outside) but we dont have a Makro in this area :( so I wont be getting one:(

blue bear
01-02-2012, 07:35 AM
I've got a couple of better ware jugs with lids that you can turn around so they don't pour. The children are great at pouring , I just half fill them, I dont leave them out constantly unless it's summer and we're outside as with 4 x2 year olds they would just use them as water play. We just use them at meal times, taking turns and passing them around the table.
School age children help them selves from the tap in the kitchen at all other times.

rickysmiths
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I'd like Sarahs jug for the spring/summer(for outside) but we dont have a Makro in this area :( so I wont be getting one:(

Other shops do sell them!

francinejayne
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Thank you everyone.

I know we will probably get spills and initially they may try to play with the water, but I am hoping with a little perseverence they will learn that it is for drinking and not playing, and I will hopefully be able to meet the children's needs better as they can get a drink when they like.

I shall look into the flask idea, I like the sound of that!