PDA

View Full Version : Organising a day trip

sillybeans
30-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I wanted your advise on what you do when organising a special day out. A day where you go a bit further a field and spend more money than normal :eek:

I want to organise a day out to somwehere like London Zoo in April but by then I will have all part time children (EY LO's). Which ever day of the week I organise it for, at least 2 LO's miss out. Do you tell those parents whose children will miss out that the next special trip will be on their day or do you invite the parents along with the children?

I'm not sure if this is allowed but my husband (self employed too) has suggested registering him as an ad-hoc assistant for occassions such as this so he can come along and we could possibly take all of the children. Is this possible in terms of having more children than the 2 EY LO's i'm allowed at the moment? Also, I just don't know if that's too much hassle for the odd occassion.

What do you all do?

Playmate
30-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Registering hubby as an assistant is and option and not very difficult. Personally I would not invite parents - did this once and it was a nightmare :panic: The children were hideous and it ruined the outing :(

sillybeans
31-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks Playmate

Helen Dempster
31-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I took one of my young mindees (2yo), and my own 2 sons to London Aquarium last year on the train, it was really nice. I just got permission/signature from the parents. On another occasion, my DH and I went out for a day trip to Greenwich with 2 older mindees and our own 2 boys as well, but that was a bit of a nightmare, as they did nothing but MOAN all day (and it didn't stop raining!) It's up to you if you tell/invite parents about it. I personally wouldn't invite the parents along :)

chez
31-01-2012, 05:44 PM
This spring we are taking 2 3yr olds one from my setting one from my mum/OHs setting to the spring fling event, where they will get to see farming processes. Milk cows, watch chicks hatch etc.
Ive taken a baby on since organising the trip but will be taking holiday from that child for the day in order to ensure the prearranged trip can happen.

mushpea
31-01-2012, 06:05 PM
its just tough luck on the other familys,, if you have all part timers you will never please all of them all of the time.
We visit the zoo weekly and there are always children that miss this and there are children that miss certain activities, crafts etc as they are not here on that day, I dont repeat them as I also have a full timer who would get board repeating every thing.

loocyloo
31-01-2012, 06:14 PM
its just tough luck on the other familys,, if you have all part timers you will never please all of them all of the time.
We visit the zoo weekly and there are always children that miss this and there are children that miss certain activities, crafts etc as they are not here on that day, I dont repeat them as I also have a full timer who would get board repeating every thing.

same here! i do try and alternate what trips i do when, so that over the course of the year everyone gets to go to the zoo etc at least once, but its not always possible.

the only time i've invited parents to join me on a trip, is when the parents are friends as well !!! ( those mindees were VERY used to having both mum and me around ;) ) i think that generally, it blurs the boundaries for children having both parent & minder there.

samb
31-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't invite parents either. This half term for example I am doing 2 trips (although not as big as the one you want to do, it is still a trip) 1 at beginning of week, 1 at end. I have 2 children that will be at both but the 3rd child on each trip will be different - so one will be coming to soft play and the other to a farm.

blue bear
31-01-2012, 09:23 PM
With 15 children on my books I could never take everyone and really dont worry about it, I think over the year the trips balance out, I never mention to absent children/parents about trips I'm doing but being a small town and all the families are friends/know each they probably find out but it's never been an issue.