PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop being nervous about new parents visiting?

Tippy Toes
30-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I have parents visting tomorrow with a little one year old :)

Have been childminding for almost two years and have met many different parents through this time so why am I still so so nervous?

Does it ever stop? :blush:

Trouble
30-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Im about to stop childminding and it has been 6 years and it never goes you just get more confident

Playmate
30-01-2012, 08:09 PM
sorry, but never :panic:

I have been minding 19 years now and still get butterflies, although much more confident these days :D

breezy
30-01-2012, 08:12 PM
As above !!!!!! Although not 19 years!

Chimps Childminding
30-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Nope!!! I've been minding 13 years now and I still get really nervous when a new parent or Ofsted are due!!! :eek: I think as much as anything it is because they are coming to you home :rolleyes:

Mouse
30-01-2012, 08:20 PM

I have been minding 19 years now and still get butterflies, although much more confident these days :D

Same here, although not quite as long. It shows by me talking to much :blush:

blue bear
30-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Still waiting for that moment 15 years after starting minding.

PixiePetal
30-01-2012, 08:57 PM
18 years for me and still get nervous :o

not as bad as I was at the beginning but more pressure these days to get everything across to parents under Ofsted system. In the old days parents just wanted their children to be part of the family, same now but so much paperwork to go through.

Also at the beginning mine was all word of mouth, since moving house its a bit more difficult

hollyoaksmad
30-01-2012, 09:02 PM
i always seem to say by accident and habbit to parents im so i really am nervous i never know what to say in these situations have you any questions lol

really must stop that but its really scary especially when some people dont talk

Beetlejuice
30-01-2012, 09:08 PM

WSS :D I've been minding 4.5 years now and whilst I do get a little nervous (more about whether my own two kids behave lol) I'm much more confident than I was. Also (big head alert :blush:) I do have a pretty high success rate with interviews so that has helped to build my confidence.

I'm one of those people who talks for England when I'm nervous (DH barely said a sentence on our first date! :laughing:) and I find this helps as I think I come across more confident than I'm perhaps feeling iyswim.

Good luck!

pinky33
30-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I would love to be a little more like the rest of you.
I have just never been nervous, maybe it's something to do with being a nanny for more years than I care to remember lol.
But then I can't ever remember being nervous then either. Just remember they will be more nervous than you as they want to impress you as well :)

onceinabluemoon
30-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't get nervous... I have always thought of the interview as me interviewing the parents rather than the other way around and because of that I don't get scared. I'm not overly confident or anything but figure this is my turf, my home, my space and they are going to be feeling more scared than me.

Tippy Toes
31-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Most of you say you are still nervous even after doing this job for a long long time :eek: Don't think there is much hope for me then :blush:

I have tried to be like some of you are, think I'm interviewing them, its my home etc but still get so blinking nervous!

Thanks to everyone who has replied - Wish me luck parents will be here at 11!

xx

Mollymop
31-01-2012, 09:50 AM
It depends. I get used to having parents come for a visit but if I don't get a visit for months and months I start feeling nervous again.

Baildon bears
31-01-2012, 09:56 AM
You never stop being nervous, though I talking to one of my parents the other day telling her how nervous I was about a new parent coming and she said she felt just as nervous when she came to see me. I think it's good to be a little nervous it shows you care. I have got better at knowing if the parent will be good to work with.

Tippy Toes
31-01-2012, 09:58 AM
It depends. I get used to having parents come for a visit but if I don't get a visit for months and months I start feeling nervous again.

Yes I know, if I have several visits close to each other Im not so bad, but when its been months! Thats a different story.

AliceK
31-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I would love to be a little more like the rest of you.
I have just never been nervous, maybe it's something to do with being a nanny for more years than I care to remember lol.
But then I can't ever remember being nervous then either. Just remember they will be more nervous than you as they want to impress you as well :)

Same here. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not generally an overly confident person but where business and my job are concerned I am. It's my house so maybe that gives me more confidence but then again I also have the "take it or leave it" attitude which sounds bad and I don't mean it in a bad way but I just figure they can see what we are all like, see what my house is like, look through my files etc but if they don't like it well hey ho it's not the end of my world. So far it seems to work :thumbsup:

xxx

Tealady
31-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I was always nervous in interviews until I started being the one conducting them (in my previous life).

I had some jibbering wrecks in front of me sometimes and I really felt sorry for them as I'm a big softie!

That has helped me when parents come although I still get a bit nervous as I only got into childcare after having my own daughter and don't always feel like a natural at this job (although the children and parents alway seem happy) so feel a bit of a fraud. :blush: