PDA

View Full Version : allergies

chez
30-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Me and my assistant childminder have several food related allergies including some that include touching the food. Im wondering if anyone else is in this situation and if you would put a policy together to give to parents regarding allergies and ask that them foods are not brought into the house? Parents here provide food for babies under 1.

Foods include:
Cinemon - including smell
Cherries - smell touch and taste
pumpkin - touch
butternut squash - touch

Im aware in the past weve had a few parents bring food that contains the above in and Ive suffered an reaction due to it, for my reactions its a itchey rash but for my assistants cherry reaction its swelling and can include the throat etc.

I would like to ban the above foods from entering the house but is that reasonable?

I also have an onion allergy which is rather nasty (currently Im ill today after cross contamination between tomatoes and onions) Therefore I do not have onions in my house at all for us to prepare/cook etc If parents provide it thats ok as Ive not had to prepare and so little risk of cross contaimination. Should I be letting parents know that their kiddies wont be getting onions at all?

Playmate
30-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Personally if I had these allergies I would be providing food to be on the safe side.

QualityCare
30-01-2012, 09:04 AM
I would have a policy on food allergies and a reminder notice on view listing the foods that are banned (l would use the word banned, not please don't bring) from your house so that all parents see it daily, l would probably have on the bottom ' please respect this policy it could be your child that is allergic to something how would you feel if they came into contact with that food whilst in my care'

AgentTink
30-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I would definitely have a policy written. The idea of policies is that they cover your setting and how they run so that all parties have clear guidelines of hat can be expected.

I agree with the above poster, you need to state which foods are banned within your home. Just think if you had a new child start who had allergies you would have to request to th other parent that certain foods be banned, so your situation is no different.