PDA

View Full Version : Help please CRB checks shown to parents?

Fairyminder
29-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone.

I am currently going through the process of becoming a Childminder.

I am in my late twenties, with a stable home and two wonderful children.

i have experience of working with children and i feel it is my vocation.

HOWEVER! when i was 18, i did something STUPID! i stole from my employer. this is on my crb and has shown up on crbs for school volunteering and other voluntary jibs i have had. it has never stopped me doing anything as most see that it was 10 years ago and a silly, petty mistake.

I know MOST people wont judge me on it, but some will.

so, i was wondering, if all is ok with Ofsted, do i HAVE to show my crb check to all parents? i am worried i would be the talk of the town. i am not overly ashamed of what i did anymore because i have come to terms with it but i would rather people didnt know.

DO your parents ask to see it? do you show it as a matter of course?

I really appreciate you reading my first post and look forward to your replies.

Fairy x

blue bear
29-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I keep mine in a plastic wallet along with other certificates which I show to parents, mostly parents just glance at it to check it's got my name etc on. To be honest I can't see why any one would run you down for what you did, it was a long time ago.

Jiorjiina
29-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't make a point of showing it, but I have it available in case people ask. No one has asked me yet.

onceinabluemoon
29-01-2012, 09:59 PM
nobody has ever asked to see mine

EmmaReed84
30-01-2012, 07:11 AM
I dont think you HAVE to show it. The fact you have had a CRB and Ofsted have deemed you suitable to work with children should be enough... That is all the CRB is for, not to tell the world about your past mistakes.

You could may be just state you have been CRB checked and Ofsted are happy with it hence you are registered... I dont see there is any reason for a parent to ask it is a confidential document to check your suitablity.

Minders registered over X years dont have CRBs and they are fine.

rickysmiths
30-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Hello everyone.

I am currently going through the process of becoming a Childminder.

I am in my late twenties, with a stable home and two wonderful children.

i have experience of working with children and i feel it is my vocation.

HOWEVER! when i was 18, i did something STUPID! i stole from my employer. this is on my crb and has shown up on crbs for school volunteering and other voluntary jibs i have had. it has never stopped me doing anything as most see that it was 10 years ago and a silly, petty mistake.

I know MOST people wont judge me on it, but some will.

so, i was wondering, if all is ok with Ofsted, do i HAVE to show my crb check to all parents? i am worried i would be the talk of the town. i am not overly ashamed of what i did anymore because i have come to terms with it but i would rather people didnt know.

DO your parents ask to see it? do you show it as a matter of course?

I really appreciate you reading my first post and look forward to your replies.

Fairy x

It may shock you but I don't have a CRB. Because I was a CM when OFSTED took over in 2001 they didn't do them on existing Cms. I have never shown a parent my dh,dd or ds ones and have never been asked. The fact that Ofsted have Registered you shows that they have deemed you are a suitable person. I never even talk about CRBs to parents so I wouldn't worry at all.

AgentTink
30-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Only one set of parents have ever asked about my crb and they asked for a copy of both mine and my husbands, plus lots of other paperwork such as copy of my certificates and things. I think every parent has a right to ask for them, although majority don't.

I think you just need to be prepared that if you do get a parent who asks to see it that you are honest and just explain what is on it. I am sure no one would hold something against you that was 10years ago.

rickysmiths
30-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Only one set of parents have ever asked about my crb and they asked for a copy of both mine and my husbands, plus lots of other paperwork such as copy of my certificates and things. I think every parent has a right to ask for them, although majority don't.

I think you just need to be prepared that if you do get a parent who asks to see it that you are honest and just explain what is on it. I am sure no one would hold something against you that was 10years ago.

Did you give it to them? I wouldn't none of their business to need a copy, it is a personal document never mind you hussbands, they need to know it exists but that is all. I would have told them to go jump on that score :panic:

It is a bit like asking for a copy of your Tax Return o Birth Certificaterwould you have given them that if they had asked?

QualityCare
30-01-2012, 09:13 AM
l tell all parents we are CRB checked as an Ofsted requirement, nobody has ever asked to see mine or any member of my families they are all folded in one plastic wallet in my certificate folder.

EmmaReed84
30-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Are you having a laugh? You didnt actually give them a copy did you?

If a parent asked for a copy I would politely tell them it is a confidential document and there is no way I would be providing a copy. I would tell them they can SEE it, but even that they dont HAVE to as the CRB is more for Ofsted to see you are suitable... Please tell me you didnt let them have one?

I dont have anything at all on mine or DH's CRB but that is not the point

AgentTink
30-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I have nothing to hide, and personally if I was to leave my child alone with someone I would like to double check this sort of information myself. I am happy to give a copy, and if that means a parent feels more relaxed with me, enough to sign a contract then so be it.

rickysmiths
30-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I have nothing to hide, and personally if I was to leave my child alone with someone I would like to double check this sort of information myself. I am happy to give a copy, and if that means a parent feels more relaxed with me, enough to sign a contract then so be it.

Would you give them a copy of your Passport, Driving Licence, Birth/Marriage Cert?

I don't think it is anything to do with 'having something to hide' or not.

You need to be a bit careful because it really is none of their business to need or have copies of CRBs and I would be very suspicious of parents who asked for a copy.

I have been minding for 17 years, Ofsted deem me a suitable person. I'm glad I don't have a CRB so they couldn't have a copy :laughing:

AgentTink
30-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Once you have blacked out information such as dob and disclosure number there is nothing on my crb that anybody could use that would cause me any suspicion. I was simply advising the op that to be aware that some parents (obviously this will be in the minority) will ask to see and in these instances that she just needs to have a prepared answer so that she does not come across flustered.

Fairyminder
30-01-2012, 12:16 PM
thank you so much for your replies.

I am a bit more relaxed now. As a parent myself, i have used many different types of childcare and have never once asked to see a crb. i guess you just know that they wouldnt be allowed to work with children if they werent safe!

i dont judge or hold things against people but i know some do.

thanks guys x

Helen Dempster
30-01-2012, 01:49 PM
No-one has ever asked to see mine and I've never volunteered it to anyone.

jane5
30-01-2012, 03:13 PM
One parent asked to see mine and my dh's and son's.

I showed her mine but didnt show her my dh's or sons as it is confidential to them and was done so Ofsted could see it and decide whether they were suitable people to be near the children.

It's the same as a medical report, Ofsted decide whether we are suitable but we dont show it to parents.

I wouldnt show them if there was any thing on there because it is private but as another poster said, have a reason ready in your head why you are not showing them.

NicoleW
30-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I lost mine about 2 weeks after receiving it, I've never had to show any parent and I only need my CRB number to show Ofsted when they visit instead of the actual certificate :)

jacky s
14-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Hello, I keep ours in my portfolio with paper covering them, front and back, stating the names of whose disclosures are in there. I work for 2 social workers, a prison officer and a nurse. they have never asked to see them but they know they are there. hope that helps. Jacky s

Mollymop
14-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I keep mine in my policies folder right at the back. None of my parents has ever asked to see mine. I explain that I am CRB checked, i think most parents know we must have been checked to register as a CM anyway so they are not bothered xx

Cammie Doodle
14-02-2012, 01:20 PM
It may shock you but I don't have a CRB. Because I was a CM when OFSTED took over in 2001 they didn't do them on existing Cms. I have never shown a parent my dh,dd or ds ones and have never been asked. The fact that Ofsted have Registered you shows that they have deemed you are a suitable person. I never even talk about CRBs to parents so I wouldn't worry at all.

Im the same as above, although I do have one from the Scouts Ass , nobody has ever asked me for it.

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I lost mine about 2 weeks after receiving it, I've never had to show any parent and I only need my CRB number to show Ofsted when they visit instead of the actual certificate :)

But you wouldn't need to because they already know you have been checked!

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 01:36 PM
One parent asked to see mine and my dh's and son's.

I showed her mine but didnt show her my dh's or sons as it is confidential to them and was done so Ofsted could see it and decide whether they were suitable people to be near the children.

It's the same as a medical report, Ofsted decide whether we are suitable but we dont show it to parents.

I wouldnt show them if there was any thing on there because it is private but as another poster said, have a reason ready in your head why you are not showing them.

Now this may start something!! I wouldn't show that to a parent it is none of their business and if it was a deal breaker I would let them walk.

I don't have one to show anyway because i have been a cm so long I didn't have to have one done when I was registered.

happydays1
15-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Some might be interested in this and i will have to find out if it is true but had an inspection by Ofsted on Tuesday and the lady said i was to shread the copys of the CRBs and put the originals in there (if i wanted) as you are not really allowed to make copies of CRBs.:blush:

caz3007
15-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I have ours, they are in a different file, never been asked but if I was I would show it to parents but wouldnt supply a copy.