PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for it??

aggs2
28-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about registering as a childminder but I just need that final push to make the decision to go for it, so I have a few questions! I have 2 children of my own (a 5 year old and an 8 week old) and will be going back to work after my mat leave in July. We would like to have one more baby before too long and I'm thinking it would be better to go on mat leave from my current job and if I'm going to start childminding, do it after that. I guess my main question is, if I have 3 children of my own, of which 2 will be under 5,how much roughly can I expect to earn? I know that's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string?' question but, very roughly!
Secondly, how much do you think I will need to spend on setting up initially and what will I be spending money on?
I have so many other questions I could be here forever, so if anyone has any words of wisdom to share with someone who is thinking about childminding please feel free to share!

WibbleWobble
28-01-2012, 07:12 PM
hello!

i charge £3.50 an hour for EYFS children and £4 an hour for after schoolers. It all depends on where you are. I am in south cheshire. i work 55 hour week, i have no children at home and am full....after all my deductions i will earn about £19,000 this year.

remember you will be able to offset some of your bills against tax ....a percentage of your gas etc.

regaring setting up costs....again its a piece of string. you will probably have lots of stuff already. Costs would be Ofsted registeration, a paediatric first aid kit and public liability insurance....

ofsted is about £40
paed first aid can be £50-£110
insurance depends on who you go with NCMA or Morton Michel
your car will need to be insured for CMing (if you have a car)
food hygiene

all the above are approx (i am watching tv at the mo...)

you might get some courses free - depends on your area.

sorry not much help...

mandy xxx

Emmak
28-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Im the same hun, really stuggling if its the best thing to do for me and my family?

Gen79
29-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about registering as a childminder but I just need that final push to make the decision to go for it, so I have a few questions! I have 2 children of my own (a 5 year old and an 8 week old) and will be going back to work after my mat leave in July. We would like to have one more baby before too long and I'm thinking it would be better to go on mat leave from my current job and if I'm going to start childminding, do it after that. I guess my main question is, if I have 3 children of my own, of which 2 will be under 5,how much roughly can I expect to earn? I know that's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string?' question but, very roughly!
Secondly, how much do you think I will need to spend on setting up initially and what will I be spending money on?
I have so many other questions I could be here forever, so if anyone has any words of wisdom to share with someone who is thinking about childminding please feel free to share!
Well you could have 1 under five years old and 2 more between five - eight years old. So potentially 90(ish) billable hours for under eights. Depending on how good you are you can also add over eights too. One extra over eight per day is about 20 more hours. What that means in income depends on the average price in your area and what you decide to charge.

Also, what would you do about work if you don't childmind? If you have a good career and free childcare it may not be the best decision for you. But if you're like me (admin job, no family near by whatsoever to help) I can't afford NOT to childmind. Good thing, b/c I was having a hard time convincing DH to let me do it until we found that part out! :clapping:

miffy
29-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum

If you have two children of your own under 5 then you will only have one early years place available which limits your income. You could possibly increase your income by providing before and after school care but again that will depend on demand in your area.

Unless you are registering with work already lined up it is hard to say how long it might take you to fill your vacancy - you may not be offered any work or only part time - again, it depends whether there is plenty of work around in your area.

If I were you I'd try and contact some other childminders in your area and see what work is like atm but remember it's not a guaranteed income.

Miffy xx

aggs2
06-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Well, having done the sums this weekend, it turns out that when I go back to my current job later this year we're actually going to be slightly worse off than we are currently with me on stat mat pay :( I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that I'm basically going to be working to pay for childcare. I'm definitely leaning more and more towards childminding, especially after visiting one with a view to her having my children and seeing her with her own little one.