PDA

View Full Version : Using old car tyres in the garden

nipper
28-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Please could someone advise if there are any rules against using old car tyres in the garden. I'm thinking ahead, trying to make our garden more appealing to my mindees and I had the idea of doing a sort of Loch Ness Monster type arrangement graduating in height so it's accessible to all ages of children. DH says they can't be cut in half because of the steel inner, but it would be possible to sink them into the ground and concrete in. I also thought about crunchy gravel somewhere but probably best not to put under the tyres in case they fall (?)
Has any one done this or does anyone have some tips they could share?

singingcactus
28-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I have about 50 old kart tyres in my yard that the kids play with. They do not have the steel wires in them, so they are very safe for the kids to play with and hoy around and build dens, roll down slides etc.

If you were to use car tyres you'd need to use ones that were sound, with no exposed metal. It is also very hard to get hold of car tyres now, you would need to write a note on official business note paper to a tyre garage stating how you are going to be using them, and how you will eventually dispose of them. This is because garages now have to prove how they recycle each and every tyre. In fact, you will only be able to purchase/acquire them from smaller freelance garages at all, because of the rules that tie the hands of the larger chains like kwik fit - who already have fixed recycling deals in place with the recycling companies.

But assuming you have a source from where you can get the tyres, and that they are safe and sound, there are no laws or rules saying you cannot reuse them in your yard. There are laws however, dictating how you can dispose of them when you've had enough of having them hanging around, and this costs you money.

BuggsieMoo
28-01-2012, 05:01 PM
My daughters nursery used to use them as flower beds as well - growing veggies in that the kids then got to eat x

nipper
28-01-2012, 05:06 PM
If you were to use car tyres you'd need to use ones that were sound, with no exposed metal. It is also very hard to get hold of car tyres now, you would need to write a note on official business note paper to a tyre garage stating how you are going to be using them, and how you will eventually dispose of them. This is because garages now have to prove how they recycle each and every tyre. In fact, you will only be able to purchase/acquire them from smaller freelance garages at all, because of the rules that tie the hands of the larger chains like kwik fit - who already have fixed recycling deals in place with the recycling companies.

I never realised that, so thanks very much for pointing it out. On another note, I presume by kart tyres, you mean go-karts?

BuggsieMoo - love the idea of the flower beds too, I was planning to have some raised beds, but this would be a cheap (hopefully) and alternative option to those.

singlewiththree
28-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I have loads of go-kart tyres in the loft left by my ex now I know what to do with them!!!

nipper
28-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I have loads of go-kart tyres in the loft left by my ex now I know what to do with them!!!

:clapping:NO NO GIVE THEM TO ME!!!:clapping:

Anyway, it would be like permanent reminder of him...

GIVE THEM TO ME, GIVE THEM TO ME!

nikki thomson
28-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I have about 50 old kart tyres in my yard that the kids play with. They do not have the steel wires in them, so they are very safe for the kids to play with and hoy around and build dens, roll down slides etc.

But assuming you have a source from where you can get the tyres, and that they are safe and sound, there are no laws or rules saying you cannot reuse them in your yard. There are laws however, dictating how you can dispose of them when you've had enough of having them hanging around, and this costs you money.
I had no idea that you couldn't just get them from a garage anymore, what a shame as its a great way to recycle them, unfortunately I can't have anything like that in my garden as I have a giant rabbit that eats through anything especially rubber (the kids wellies) usually. X

karensmart4
28-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I just asked at a local garage and they said "great how many do you want", it costs them money to recycle them.

I have used mine for a herb garden, a flower garden and a veg garden (put one on top the other and zip tie them together), I have also got them laying on the ground for the children to sit on and chat and to climb and jump off (singular).

sharonmanc
28-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Ask your local garage, they have to pay to recycle them and some will gladly give you some, I have them to grow potatoes and such in, I plan on getting some more and painting in bright colours for the little to grow veggies in.

Also ask on free cyle be surprised how many people have them laying around in their garden

*daisychain*
28-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I have 3 huge truch tyres in my garden, one is used as a digging pit filled with sand, kids love them. I got mine off a friend who was glad to get rid of them.

sharonmanc
28-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Daisey chain what a fab ida, think i may get some more for digging

gegele
28-01-2012, 07:14 PM
i had 4 and got rid of 2 as garden was getting too overcrowded.

my lavender grew in one and LOVED it lol if i manage to buy the extra land i'm planning on getting a few more and paint them to grow bamboo!! :-)

you can make a mini sand pit in one which i was going to do but ended digging a big one in garden :)

the first plan was to do "exploring circle" 1 was to have herbs for smell, one to have sand, one to have seashells and natural stuff and the last one was going to be big pebbles of different size and colour...:( not enough space

but what if i cut them and use them as halves ...???? mmmmmmm food for thought:thumbsup: