PDA

View Full Version : Toy Cleaning

mrsmaggy
28-01-2012, 07:29 AM
How and where do you log when you've cleaned the toys?

breezy
28-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I dont log it anywhere, I just do it ! Never thought to write it down:blush:

roro1
28-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Sorry I can't help, I do it but don't log it. Ofsted never questioned.
Thanks for the posting this as I would like to know too.
Be interested to know how you clean the toys, I have been cleaning them in soapy water with antibacterial products too. But have allsorts of toys, wooden, soft toys, musical instruments, large kitchen etc. How often? Be good to hear from experienced minders what they do?
Looking forward to hearing from others.

mrsmaggy
28-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I dont log it anywhere, I just do it ! Never thought to write it down:blush:

My early years advisory said I needed to log it :(

Greengrass74
28-01-2012, 09:02 AM
We have never logged when the toys have been cleaned, however we do have a bit on our daily check sheet which is for checking cleanliness and condition of toys.

mrsmaggy
28-01-2012, 09:07 AM
We have never logged when the toys have been cleaned, however we do have a bit on our daily check sheet which is for checking cleanliness and condition of toys.

I have this on my daily checks sheet too, she said I need a risk assesment for toys with details of when I cleaned the toys :huh:

moggy
28-01-2012, 09:09 AM
No need to log it, I can't be doing with any more paperwork! I just clean as and when needed.

Wendybird
28-01-2012, 01:01 PM
No need to log it, I can't be doing with any more paperwork! I just clean as and when needed.

This. I've just finished washing all the water toys - just in hot soapy water. Ofsted didn't ask, it's obvious that I care for my toys and resources - everything is in excellent condition. I have decided that I am not doing any more paperwork than 1) I have to do by Ofsted requirement and/or 2) which is actually useful to me. ;)

Mollymop
28-01-2012, 01:05 PM
As long as the toys are clean I don't see why we have to log that we have cleaned them.
I have a toy risk assessment which says how a often and when I clean toys.

I can't see how logging everytime you clean a toy is evidence of doing it - we could just make it up. More silly ideas for more paperwork! :rolleyes::)

blue bear
28-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Everything goes in dishwasher or washing machine, very few things do I wash by hand. I do a big sort once a month when everything is put back in it's place, this is a good time to identify washing needs but I obviously check daily and wash as necessary. I'm not logging it, really can't see the need,it's not a legality and it's obvious the toys are cleaned and looked after.

nikki thomson
28-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I have to say I rarely clean the toys usually about every 3 mths they get a quick going over but really logging it? What's that all about? I'm not even going there. X

miffy
28-01-2012, 11:20 PM
My early years advisory said I needed to log it :(

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't do this and can't see the point of it.

Miffy xx

mrsmaggy
29-01-2012, 06:20 AM
She also said I needed a toy risk assessment - how can I out all my toys into one a risk assessment there would be reams and reams of paper :eek:

onceinabluemoon
29-01-2012, 07:43 AM
I would be asking your EYA where the requirement for this is written down. Are you part of a network and it's their rules or something?

mrsmaggy
29-01-2012, 07:53 AM
I would be asking your EYA where the requirement for this is written down. Are you part of a network and it's their rules or something?

No I had a list of toys and what they came under/covered i.e CD, PD etc she said you dont need to do that you need a risk assessment with a log of when you clean the toys! :huh:

JulieA
29-01-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't have a log either. I do have it logged in my risk assessments though - under one general heading of TOYS. It states that the toys are cleaned regularly as a when required, and how they are cleaned.

I put whatever I can in either the dishwasher or washing machine (including lego in one of those net bags for washing smalls). Everything else gets a wipe over with an antibacterial wipe.

I rotate boxes of toys and these are cleaned before they are put away, and the continuously available stuff is done one box/item a week.

The only exception to this is where a child has been ill, or has been discovered to have a contagious illness - hand, foot and mouth, chickenpox, etc. Then I go through and clean everything that has been out in the playroom whilst they have been here - and this is logged on my risk assessment. I also have a dribbler at the moment so wiping over more regularly than usually.

samb
29-01-2012, 01:27 PM
She also said I needed a toy risk assessment - how can I out all my toys into one a risk assessment there would be reams and reams of paper :eek:

Did she actually say specifically that you would need to write down every toy and risk assess and log cleaning details? I think maybe she just meant how you would do any risk assessment. I would do it like this..

Risk 1: Toys with small parts. Risk to: younger children who may put these in their mouths etc. How I plan to minimise risk: Keep these toys out of reach/in specific area sit with younger child so they can be watched at all times these are out etc.

Risk 2: Broken pieces. Risk to: any one in contact with item. How I plan to minimise risk: visually check toys when they are out and take out any with broken pieces.

Risk 3: Spread of germs/dirt. Risk to: anyone in contact with item. How I plan to minimise risk: visually check and if dirty clean using anti bac wipes (or whatever you do) for all other toys wash regularly to minimise spread of infection.

I would put it all in a table with the risk, who to and how to minimise in boxes at top. Then as all my risk assessments I sign every 6 months to say they are the same or if any changes I * and then add amendments. I would be surprised if she meant to literally list everything - for outings we can be "vague" to a certain extent and include "toddler groups" on one page and just list the odd thing that only applies to certain groups on it (such as if a group has a kitchen area or something like that) and I would do the same with toys - most things are quite "vague" like the statemnts above and they apply to most things. If there are items that you feel need a more detailed point that only applies to this item then just write it on. A risk assessment can be ongoing - you don't have to do it all once and if something is noticed just write it in and date and sign. This shows reflective practise.

Babycat
29-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey there I have a daily/ weekly check table in one. the checks are as follows

daily: fridge/freezer check am / pm Bins Floors Toilets Kitchen Risk assessement

weekly:Fire drill /alarm test Maintenance list Toys and equipment clean list Sleep linen

This is in a mon-Sun table and I tick off when all are done daily and when the rest has been done weekly.

This is not VAST amounts of paper waste either as I have 6 weeks on one page and its easy to check off at the end or am/pm weekly I keep it with registers in my drawer and file it after 6 weeks.

I dont mind making something up for anyone or sharing it on if you want one.