PDA

View Full Version : new?? secondhand??

Demonjill
27-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Just wondered

When you are all buying CM related stuff whether you chose new or secondhand?

I have been building up resources and looking for more all the time:blush:lol
I have bought a few NEW toys as they were in the sale:rolleyes:

Prams/buggies = freecycle, Jack and Jill market
Toys = Charity shops, friends, ebay, NEW Travel Cots = already had (my kids)Car seats/booster seats = already had(my kids) friends
Safety equipment = still sourcing
etc

PixiePetal
27-01-2012, 11:41 PM
bit of everything!

bought a new P&T double buggy - couldn't find one locally at a decent price second hand

had a new Maclaren single stroller a few years ago but otherwise buggies second hand/ebay etc

car seat - one was my DSs - also new one from ASDA baby event - good prices when that is on :thumbsup: booster seats from my kids

high chair 1 second hand from forum member, 1 new as I particularly was looking for one to fold small and got one on offer in Mothercare

travel cot given by ex mindees mum :thumbsup:

toys - new/sale/second hand as I see what I want:D also given by ex mindee again :thumbsup:

adele1985
28-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Hi hun

I bought all my safty stuff new

most of the toys i have came from car boot sales and chairty shops, i did buy some new but not many of them

storage came from ikea i got that new

car seats came from friends

my car also came second hand - my partner owns a garage so he got it for me

candlequeen
28-01-2012, 07:47 AM
A lot of my toys and most of the things I buy are secondhand. Some things I have bought new, such as double buggy, highchair, but mainly this is because the secondhand prices are high for these items and I cannot afford to lose money if they are unreliable.

shelly2012
28-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Toys mostly second hand and the buggys and car seats are new.

Greengrass74
28-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Our car seats are always brought new, due to safety and knowing their history, i.e have they been in an accident.

We have got loads of toys from car boot sales, charity shops, ebay etc. We have a lot of stuff that we get from our local resource centre for free such as paper, cardboard, fabrics and arts and crafts materials.

Another resource we use is the local toy library, great for larger toys and outside equipment.

We also put a note in our newsletter saying that we are always looking for resources and we get a great response with parents donating toys, books, wellies, wet suits etc.

We also buy new toys etc. normally when on offer as they can be very expenxive

kellib
28-01-2012, 09:38 AM
All the toys I had from when my son was younger.

I bought a 2nd hand double 360 nipper on ebay as couldn't afford new prices, was using my son's old single buggy but had to throw it out as it was on its last legs, bought a brand new MacLaren in the Mothercare sale.

I don't drive so don't need to worry about car seats etc.

Travel cot, a mindee's Mum gave me their one to use.

Demonjill
28-01-2012, 09:51 AM
A bit of everything then lol

I will look into my local toy library had meant to do that and never got round to it.

I had always thought this of car seats re accidents etc but always wondered what was classed as an "accident" what i mean is

eg someone i know sold a car seat it was immaculate only 6 months old (she just loves buying new stuff lol) saying never been in an accident but my friend told me she had had an incident where her cat was run into so in reality the seat had been in an accident!
Another person bought brand new car seat and it turns out it had been dropped from a height after production( all traced back) and this weakened it and caused problems later in its life

My hubby used to pick up accident damaged cars and said the car would have to be completely mangled for car seats to become damaged and this damage was very noticeable

Sorry just a thought that even new we dont know the history of car seats, safety equipment,toys etc

Chimps Childminding
28-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Bit of both!! Car seats always new!! But have had pushchairs from people I know in the past, toys bought from charity shops, car boot sales and sometimes mindees parents!! Depends what I need and how quickly I need it, or if I see a bargain :rolleyes:

kel1983
28-01-2012, 10:33 AM
We have bought a lot second hand. Love finding a bargain. We go to charity shops, carboot sales, given stuff from friends and family and just recently found some local selling pages on Facebook which is brilliant.

miffy
28-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Bit of a mixture really - have recently bought a new double buggy because I couldn't find a second hand ne at a decent price. Other equipment either passed on from parents or picked up second hand.

Toys, I get a lot for charity shops, car boots etc but I also buy new in sales. Parents have been very generous donating old toys too.

Miffy xx