PDA

View Full Version : Assistants Car

bekki0405
27-01-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer here or in fact anywhere on the internet, so here goes.

I have been working with an assistant for a year now, and I have had an enquiry from an existing parent to pick up her 5 year old daughter from school one day a week. We currently have her son as well all week, he is 2.

The problem is that the little girl comes out about the same time as another child we look after. We could only do this if my assistant can pick up, but this would mean her using her car. Obviously I would get permission slips written up, and the parent to sign. I have a copy of her MOT, insurance (with business class), so I think paperwork wise, I have covered all basis.

Does anyone know if this is allowed, or if there is anything else I would need to do to enable me to help this parent.

I have called Ofsted and he directed me to the 'Using an assistant factsheet', which says nothing about using another car. I could call back, but I have a feeling they didn't know (it's not in the script:rolleyes:), so thought it would be quicker on here with you lovely people :)

Thank you ;)

rickysmiths
27-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I think the answer is yes as long as it says on your Certificate that your assistant can be left alone with the children for short periods.

However if I am right and i'm sure someone else will comment, that there is an oddity in the EYFS which means an assistant can't be alone in the house with children who are older than EYFS age so she would have to wait outside for you to return. I know this sounds completely mad.

As far as permissions go, I have one sheet for my parents to sign and list all my permissions on it. I include on this permission for them to go in my assistants car and to be left alone with the assistant for short periods.

bekki0405
27-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Yes, I heard that as well. This child is 4, and still within the limits of the EYFS I think. But it does seem a strange thing that they can be left alone with under 5's, but not older?? I wonder why. I'm going to ask that very question on here!
Thanks x:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
27-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I had 2 parents that collected for me and they were both Ofsted approved as assistants, crb complete, parental permission and business use on the car so all was okay

I keep hearing that people cannot be left in the house with children outside the EYFS - this is rubbish, just wording and you can do it

Stapleton83
27-01-2012, 07:27 PM
The only other thing you may want to consider, if you haven't already done it, is getting your assistant on a paediatric first aid course just in case something happens, other than that no reason why not:)

bekki0405
27-01-2012, 07:34 PM
The only other thing you may want to consider, if you haven't already done it, is getting your assistant on a paediatric first aid course just in case something happens, other than that no reason why not:)

Her previous one from the pre school she worked at is still in date, but I think its a good idea to keep it to date just in case

rickysmiths
28-01-2012, 01:44 PM

They have to have this if they are going to be in sole charge of the children.

Loushah
01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi, know is an old post but I have a similar problem....I have an exam Monday morning and my husband is my assistant is he ok to drop the children to school? Age 7 and 10. He hasn't had first aid training!

rickysmiths
01-03-2012, 11:59 AM
If he hasn't had first aid training and it has to be on your reg cert that your assistant can be left in sole charge of the children. If these things are not in place then no he can't.

Loushah
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Thank you, I thought this was the case....I told the parents months ago I was taking Monday off as holiday but only just registered hubby as an assistant and wondered if there was anyway around it as I would be here in the morning then we could have left at the same time....I'll get him booked on first aid / safeguarding course asap!