PDA

View Full Version : weaning advise

sfox2003
27-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi

Just hoping someone can give me some advise about weaning. Well not so much weaning, just how I can work with the parents of a 9 month old baby.

Apparently she used to be a great eater. Once meat was added to her diet she went off savoury food completley. So even now without the meat if its savoury she refuses. Shes been coming to me around 3 weeks now. Shes a really great little girl, happy, and calm. Until mealtimes. Shes fine sat in the highchair, fine with a bib on, happy to feed herself toast at breakfast.

Once you have a bowl of food & a spoon she kicks off. So I try to give her a taste, put some on her lips, if its savoury the crying continues, if its sweet she immediatly stops crying & opens her mouth for more!

I think I need to work together with the family, like most people their lives are busy & in an effort to just get her to eat have succumb to her whims and give her those ellies fruit purees half for lunch & half for tea.

I have spoke to them and they are welcome of help. I just dont really know where to start!!! Was thinking of having a x's likes & dislikes sheet in her diary so we can keep a running track between us of whats shes tried & likes.

Any ideas????????

Thank You

moggy
27-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Just an idea- if she hates a bowl and a spoon then maybe skip them and go for more of a baby led weaning approach- give finger food, pieces of what everyone else is eating and let her do what she wants with it- she may just play with it but eventually she may try some and get eating that way. I assume she is filling up on milk rather than food? Many people now just don't do the puree stage at all and go straight to baby-led-weaning (check it out on line if it is new to you)

AliceK
27-01-2012, 04:06 PM
It could be the consistency she doesn't like. There are plenty of savoury meals she could have that she can eat with her fingers rather than being of the more "mushy" consistency which require a spoon. Just a thought. My DD went through a stage of refusing all "mushy" food.

xxxx

sfox2003
27-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Thank you. I thought the same, finger food could be the way to go.

Ive given it a go tonight with potato wedges, peas and pces of cod (no batter or breadcrumbs, just the fish). Shes eating at the mo, Im watching her & she seems very intrigued by it!!!!

xx

Tealady
27-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Glad the little girl seems interested. It's a start and even if it breaks the cycle of her getting upset when faced with a soon and bowl.

My son was similar. I thought baby led weaning was a fad and not safe until faced with a baby who wouldn't eat. It worked for us :thumbsup:

Gen79
27-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Another vote for BLW! My DD is 10 months and I can count the number of times she's had a puree on one hand. No issues. BLW is supposed to work well for babies with control issues! lol :thumbsup: