PDA

View Full Version : How long do I wait till I give up!

wonderwoman80
26-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I registered in September, and absolutley love my job. Problem is I have given up a full time job as a TA in a school partly because my childcare bill was so expensive and partly because I really wanted to set up for myself.

I only have one after school child two days a week, a baby three days and two every other Saturday which just isnt enough! How long should I wait till I get more.

Problem is so many in my town I suppose its all about getting your name known! Getting desperate now tho!

Loushah
26-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't know what the demand is like in your area, however, I am newly registered too and I found childcare.co.uk brilliant. I paid for membership and within 4 weeks of joining I have got two school children & 1 baby and getting loads of enquries. I contact people who I can help straight away preferably by phone as I feel I can sell myself and services better this way.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you don't have to give up :panic:

miffy
26-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I suppose its all about getting your name known!

I think you're right. If you do a forum search you'll find lots of other threads about advertising which might give you some ideas.

Miffy xx

Demonjill
26-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I dont think we can give you a time limit as only you know your finances etc.

But as many will tell you this job is up and down - so you could go on for ages like you are on the other hand you could get more mindees tomorrow!

i have to agree with pp re. childcare.co.uk I have got all my enquiries through here:thumbsup: I do go on it every day and get in there first when i see a potential parent that sounds suitable- with a short friendly message explaining my service etc.

If you love the job i would persevere a bit longer. People on here are already saying they are starting to get enquiries for September :D

maluvsya89
26-01-2012, 10:10 PM
i'm the same i'm from oxford and finding the competition difficult. its like they are scared to come to a newly reg childminder! good luck im on childcare.co.uk and have a few through there come and visit and also on the familyinformation services. x good luck x

Katy M
26-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I am in a similar situation. I moved into the area a year ago having childminded in another location. And I just can't seem to catch a break. I know there is work out there but I just can't seem to get myself know in the area. I have flyers up everywhere I can think of, i have my profile on childcare.co.uk but have had no hits from that, my existing parents all know I am looking for more work. Other childminders in my area are busy but seem reluctant to pass on my details to enquiring parents! It's all very frustrating.

Not sure how long to hang on before looking at other options.

Katy M
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I put together an A5 flyer. It was colourful and simple. I posted it in doors on my own estate with the intention that I would start close to home and work my way out. I distributed about 50 on Mon morning and before I had even got home from posting them a lady had left me a message on my phone to say she would like to come and talk about childcare. I have just had my first meeting with her and LO and she is coming for a taster session next week. Who'd have thought it would be that successful?? Definitely worth the effort.

:clapping::laughing:

dmss001
02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I waited 3 months in between kids leaving and arriving getting in debt, but when the new business came it was double what I earnt before and I paid off the debt and bought a new TV :)

Jiorjiina
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
its like they are scared to come to a newly reg childminder!

I think you're bang on the nail there. It's the old catch 22 of people want to use someone with experience, but you only get experience when you are minding, so you need mindees to get the experience parents want.

I find this all the time.

Suebb1
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I've been minding for 26 years now and the 'market place' alters all the time.Yes I have lots of experience but even so at times I have really quiet periods followed a few months later to being busy again. Good luck x

maluvsya89
10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
after i posted my last post on here my phone hasnt stopped and been turning people away :D i signed up to child care.co.uk n paid for one months to see how it works out and its been great :D x

miffy
10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
after i posted my last post on here my phone hasnt stopped and been turning people away :D i signed up to child care.co.uk n paid for one months to see how it works out and its been great :D x

That's great news - well done! :clapping:

Miffy xx

Angela234
10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
iV'E not worked for 2 years for health reasons back to fitness now got ads out doctors, CC, nursery, on childcare co.uk netmums, FIS updated haven't had any enquiries yet

Hopefully the phone will start ringing soon

Do you go to toddlers or other groups let people know your a childminder

Good luck

jay007
10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
iV'E not worked for 2 years for health reasons back to fitness now got ads out doctors, CC, nursery, on childcare co.uk netmums, FIS updated haven't had any enquiries yet

Hopefully the phone will start ringing soon

Do you go to toddlers or other groups let people know your a childminder

Good luck

I look after 2 girls (sisters) and the parents told me they are moving house today. So that's me out of a job in 4 weeks time. Had a look online and childcare.co.uk is the only website which comes up first all the time. And their membership fees has shot up. I wonder if there is some one who has a discount code which can make it more affordable. The other surprise is the local FIND/children's information website is completely at the bottom of the page and easily missed. Once you click on it, it goes to a number of local council sites before it actually opens up the pages for childminders details. I think its a conspiracy and as usual we are the ones who pay the price.

The Juggler
10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
that's great news hon. :clapping::clapping:

CH1957
10-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Ive been registered since October 2011 and still only got 1 child 2 short days a week who started January 2012 and last week started after school pick up 2 days a week, so Im struggling. Childcare.co.uk hasnt been any good for me despite me sending over 90 messages to people in the 4 months!
Im gonna give up if I dont get busier within wthe next 2 months.:(