PDA

View Full Version : Day rate help please

ziggy
26-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I have been asked to take a baby one day a week from next wednesday. Mummy is coming to do contracts etc on monday.

My hourly rate is £3.20 and i charge a daily rate of £25 for 8+ hours. This baby is coming from 7am till 2pm so have given mummy the hourly rate. Now apparently when daddy is working baby wont be collected till 5 or 6pm. I havent mentioned the daily rate, as i think £25 for a 10 or 11 hour day isnt enough. Plus i originally offered other parent a daily rate (for a 9hour day) because both children were full timers. I never have had an unsociable hour rate

Just wondered what others would do in this situation

rickysmiths
26-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm not much help because I have never charged a daily rate and I don't give any discount for those using a whole day compared to those using less hours.

I would charge my hourly rate for the contracted hours and then the extra for the additional hours when required if they were only occasional. In this case I would want to know how often the late pick ups were going to be and how much notice they think they are going to give you before I would commit to a final price. Also would this stop you perhaps taking on a after school one if so they might need to pay a retainer for the extra hours. I they need to collect late every other week then I would expect to be paid from 7am to 6pm every week.

You also need to know in advance to be able to plan the additional snack and meal and for additional activities, the whole day also means you have time to go out further afield if you want to.

The Juggler
26-01-2012, 05:11 PM
that's quite a big discount hon. a 10 hour (longer day for you) would only cost £25 instead of £32.

Personally I would charge them the hourly rate on the days they need extra.

peppa Pig
26-01-2012, 05:59 PM
not having had a daily rate myself, i would have thought they can only be for full timers to make it worth your while?
I have only ever charged a hourly rate which seems fair but am thinking of bringing in a minimum amount of hours in a day.

sharonmanc
26-01-2012, 06:02 PM
i am still trying to work out my fees, as in my area, the average is £3.50 per hour, for a 10 hour day this would be £35, but the day rate is £25, which is a big drop, but then i dont want to price myself when all the other childminders are charging this.

Goatgirl
26-01-2012, 06:31 PM
if it was me, I'd have to think carefully about whether I'd want to take on a lo who might stop me from filling a before and after school place when lo is only paying for one day... be fine if you had others on the other days. depends what kind of care parents need in your area i guess?

If I did do it I would be charging either full hourly rate for all the hours needed i.e. 7am till 6pm, as you can't 'sell' that afternoon space, Or I'd charge a higher rate per hour for 7am till 2pm and half fee for the 2pm till 6pm slot on weeks they don't need it, so that it's kept for them. I'd work out the full hourly amount and devise the enhanced rate so that it's fairly similar overall :thumbsup:

I think I would also want something definite about the frequency of the late days and amount of notice needed... I'd have a thorough chat about the situation with Mum and give myself time to assimilate that and come up with a fee/conditions. I wouldn't want to be pressured at contract signing time to figure it out there and then. I make very bad on the spot decisions about money :rolleyes:

Good luck, hope it works out for you all :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

ziggy
27-01-2012, 08:58 AM
thanks for all the advice, very helpful.

Having the baby wont impact on my after school places as i only have one permanent schoolie and another as and when needed (and to be honest could have more but dont want them!)

I think i will charge hourly rate as it is only one day a week. I do need the work right now but think i will have to explain to mummy that if a full time child comes along i will have to give notice. I know this may seem unfair but at least i'm being honest from the start.

Oh well guess one day a week is better than nothing but wish i could find one more full timer