PDA

View Full Version : Bin hygeine...

jadavi
26-01-2012, 01:49 PM
How do you keep your bin in the kitchen? Is there anyway of keeping it hygenic for the mindees or do you have it inaccessible? We have a big flip lid floor one....

Tippy Toes
26-01-2012, 01:51 PM
I have a push lid bin in the kitchen, little ones cant figure that one out!

Also mindees are not allowed out the kitchen unless they are with me/and we are doing an activity.

SandCastles
26-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Same here, I have a flip top bin in the kitchen. The kitchen is gated so the lo's do not have access to it while they are here during the day, the gate is left open once they have gone home (before the school run) I expect the after schoolers to use it for their rubbish, so keep it clean with constant washing and I empty it on an evening.
I also have a paper recycling bin in the main playroom so they can make the decision of either recycling bin or kitchen bin.

mummyMia
26-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I encourage my mindees to use the bin. I don't have a safety gate on my kitchen and mindees are free to wonder in as long as I am not cooking. I ask them to throw away their own paper towels, banana peels, etc. Even the 1 year olds do this themselves. I have a big 50l flip top one. They can't use the pedal so they just lift the lid. I spray the outside of the bin with antibac every night. I am pretty sure that Mrs O saw the mindees doing this and didn't say anything. I like to teach the little ones to do things for themselves. :)

jadavi
26-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks - that's what I'l do and mention it in my ra

The Juggler
26-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I encourage my mindees to use the bin. I don't have a safety gate on my kitchen and mindees are free to wonder in as long as I am not cooking. I ask them to throw away their own paper towels, banana peels, etc. Even the 1 year olds do this themselves. I have a big 50l flip top one. They can't use the pedal so they just lift the lid. I spray the outside of the bin with antibac every night. I am pretty sure that Mrs O saw the mindees doing this and didn't say anything. I like to teach the little ones to do things for themselves. :)

same here. they know not to put their hands IN the bin and wash their hands after they finish eating after they've used the bin :thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
26-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I hate bins, I dont have any in the house (except food bin which is emptied every night, filled with bleach in the sink before bed and then wiped dry in the morning)

My big out door bins are directly outside my front door so the majority of my rubbish just goes straight in them bins. I do have a carrier bag on the handle for things like crisp packets and thing that cannot be recycled but this is thrown in the outside during the day.

flowerpots
26-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I hate bins, I dont have any in the house (except food bin which is emptied every night, filled with bleach in the sink before bed and then wiped dry in the morning)

My big out door bins are directly outside my front door so the majority of my rubbish just goes straight in them bins. I do have a carrier bag on the handle for things like crisp packets and thing that cannot be recycled but this is thrown in the outside during the day.

Me too. :) x

suez
26-01-2012, 06:24 PM
i have a little bin on rollers in the cupboard under the sink nicely out of site :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
26-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I have a brabantia bin in the kitchen, i clean it / spray it with antbibac when needed. Other than that my mindees are taught not to play with the bin. I think it's important they learn everything is not for touching just like in their own homes.

PixiePetal
26-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I have a brabantia bin in the kitchen, i clean it / spray it with antbibac when needed. Other than that my mindees are taught not to play with the bin. I think it's important they learn everything is not for touching just like in their own homes.

just put dishwasher where the bin used to be :clapping: so need a new one to fit smaller space but this is what I believe too - learn not to play with it and use it to put rubbish in :thumbsup:

appleblossom
27-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I don't have any bins within reach of mindees since I had one who put small toys/jigsaw pieces etc. in them. I have a small plain plastic bin (£1.00 from Asda) at the back of the sink. It gets washed each evening after it is emptied in the big bin outside. TBH only yoghurt pots/plastic wrappers that can't be recycled go in there so it doesn't get very full. All waste food/peelings etc. goes in the waste food caddy provided by the council. That's on the windowsill behind the sink.appropriate recycling bin. Other recycling goes in a bucket which is emptied in the appropriate bins when it is full. The lounge bin is inside the fireguard out of reach.