PDA

View Full Version : Think I may have done a big no no.

PerkyEars
26-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Had an enquirer this morning who wanted to see all my paperwork, including example dairy and learning journal. This made me feel a bit uncomfortable, as it felt like this was confidential information about someone elses child. I felt a bit put on the spot though, and showed them a learning journal. Should I have refused to do this? What do other people do?

Nicky
26-01-2012, 12:24 PM
If I know I have someone coming to look round I always ask a parent if its ok to show the prospective parent their childs learning journal. No one has ever said no.

Mouse
26-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I have an example paperwork (including daily diary & LJ) that I can show parents.

I wouldn't have shown them a current LJ or diary that had any child's info in it. In the past, before I had the examples, I have told parents what I do & flicked through the diary & LJ infront of them, saying "this is what I do, but obviously I can't let you read it properly because of confidentiality".

What's done is done now. Use it as a learning opportunity and make yourself up some examples that you can show parents :thumbsup:

littlecheeks
26-01-2012, 12:26 PM
personally i wouldnt show them a childs profile. unless you have permission from the parents that it is ok.
as a rule of thumb i try not to show all my paperwork on a first visit, you never know! and i am one of those suspicious people.
i also never give anyone a copy of my policys until we sign a contract and then parents get there own copies.
just put it down to a lesson learned! weve all made little mistakes x

boxtree7
26-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I have a blank LJ - However on 1st visits I don't show paperwork - I do have an induction sheet which I give - I use the 1st visit for what the parent is looking for and how much it will cost. On the 2nd visit I do get all my example paperwork out.

Mollymop
26-01-2012, 12:28 PM
You are right it is confidential information.
I use children's diaries and folders to use as an example to parents but I don't open them, i just show them the front cover and explain what I do without showing them.
Maybe a good idea to put together a LJ example to show parents (if I ever get time:rolleyes:) for when we get a parent like you had today who wants to know how we do everything in detail.
I am suprised the parent asked to see everything though, I haven't had one who is interested enough to ask.

rickysmiths
26-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I have created a dummy one which I show parents. It does have photos in but none of current children and I have the parents permission to do this. It is no different to showing prospective parents my album which has selected photos of every child I have minded in my 17yrs. or the multiframe I have in my hall with photos showing the range of activities and outings we do.

PerkyEars
26-01-2012, 12:39 PM
If I know I have someone coming to look round I always ask a parent if its ok to show the prospective parent their childs learning journal. No one has ever said no.

Good one! :)

Honestly I hate, hate, hate these interviews. I never know what to say other than "well we do all the normal stuff here really, I'm just a bog standard childminder!!"

PerkyEars
26-01-2012, 12:44 PM
or the multiframe I have in my hall with photos showing the range of activities and outings we do.

Oo that's a good idea!

rickysmiths
26-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Good one! :)

Honestly I hate, hate, hate these interviews. I never know what to say other than "well we do all the normal stuff here really, I'm just a bog standard childminder!!"

I know what you mean when you are put on the spot. This is why I decided to do the multiframe of photos. It shows a wide range of what we do, playing in the garden, jigsaws, cooking, reading books, on outings to the local park, walking in the river, fruit picking, painting. Ofsted loved it and my parents love it because I update it and it is hung on the wall over the coat pegs so they see it everyday. Best of all the children love seeing themselves and take great delight in pointing to themselves!

You might find it helpful to write a list of the main activities you do and gradually attach a photo of the children doing it.

Also I have an Outings file in which I list the places we go on a regular basis and I have gradually added photos and of the farms, museums etc with the guide to them. I live near London so we go to the Aquarium, the Science and Natural history Museums and Kew Gardens as well as places in SW Herts were I live.

Playmate
26-01-2012, 12:58 PM
We now have an information booklet that we put together and we sit and go through it, this usually answers most questions and quite often sparks off new ones. We have pictures in our portfolio and blank paperwork. We also put all of the previous years on a DVD and we show this in the background.

Once we have gone through everything, we show them around :D

adele1985
26-01-2012, 02:21 PM
ive done a permission form for sharing information like childrens files which all my parents are asked to sign and date when thier lo starts with me

I have also made a scrap book with pictures of the outting we go on and the actvities we do showing all the children having fun. I normally just hand it over to the paresnts looking around and they can see for them selves what we get up to :D its easyer than explaning:rolleyes:

EmmaReed84
26-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I do not show any of my mindees things to new parents whatsoever! The only people who see them are me, parents and inspectors (obviously other officials in nedessary)

I have mock up of folders to show and explain to the parents that I take confidentiality very seriously and never disclose information about my families to anyone... I do this for two reasons... 1 to protect myself, the info of my mindees and families... 2 To show prospective parents I am professional, trusting and will not breach confidences