PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

Gen79
26-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi all!

I'm still in planning stages and start my course (I think it's like the CYCPOP5, but provided by county council) on 1 Feb! I'm very excited!

I think that I just want to try to get 4 - 5 school age children and do an out of school club type set up, preferrably all over 8's but I'll register for all ages and take what I can get! lol Just wondering if anyone knows anyone who does this? I know most people take the little ones because you can have them all day. But, if I can get 4 - 5 kids a day for before and/or after school I'll be happy with that income, as well as the 6 hours of relative peace in between! :cool:

Also, does anyone do a school run to a school that's not one of the closest to them? There are some areas 5 - 10 minutes drive away that are in more need of cm's but I'm not sure that parents would want to drive to me. I have a feeling that if I want all schoolies, my chosen school has to be a carefully thought out tactic.

Finally, what are parents going to think if I tell them that I can't start until I give my current job 1 months notice? Is that going to put them off, do you think??? I'm really worried about that but we can't afford for me to go a few months without any income! :(

Thank's all! :thumbsup:

JCrakers
26-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Morning :D

The childminder up the road from me does this..she takes to school and picks up and then has the day free. She has between 5-7 after schoolies and that suits her. She was a childminder previously, had some time off and doesnt want to go back into it like she used to.

I would do some research of schools near you. The school I pick up from only has 3 minders but has 2 after school clubs, although there seems to be parents always looking as the after school clubs can be rather boisterous and a lot of children dont like that.

Some schools have too many minders and ive spoke to minders who are struggling to get school children. think as long as you do your research and advertise at the school it should be all good.

The Juggler
26-01-2012, 09:57 AM
sounds like a good plan to focus on a school short of CM's but think about where you own children will go eventually (if you have younger children now).

I would walk it hon. 10 mins drive is a half hour walk tops - kids could do with a walk and fresh air after a long day at school.

Also parents will be commuting by train/car from all over for their jobs so it's up to them to get to you. I wouldn't worry - especially if Cm's are in short supply at that school.

On the notice period - don't worry. If you were already a CM with someone leaving they'd be in a notice period so potential parents would be told "I have a space on xxx date". I would just make sure you take a months deposit from all prospective customers, then hand in your notice (maybe use up any unused holiday to prepare yourself) and start on the next day.:thumbsup:

Gen79
26-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks to you both! Not sure, will definitely have to do some school research. I'm sure the cm org around here can help. Hope this works out! :clapping: