PDA

View Full Version : How do I Pay my tax??

happyfeet
25-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Last year was my first year at self assessment and I'd only worked a few months before the tax tear ended.
I did my tax return online and because I earned less than the personal allowance rate I had no tax to pay.
I received a letter from the tax office shortly after submitting stating they have received my info and that I had nothing to pay.

This year I submitted my tax online and have been waiting for the correspondence which tells me the amount and how to pay as this year I do have a tax bill.

This was 3 weeks ago but have yet to receive anything!

I've rang the office everyday for the last 5 days (sometimes on an evening too!) to ask about how to make payment but I am constantly on hold for an advisor and completely unable to get through to speak to someone.

I've looked at the HMRC website and can't find it on there (unless I'm just not seeing it!)

Can someone please help! I doubt I'll get through before 31st Jan and really don't want to be late with my first ever tax bill!!

Do you need to receive something from them or is there just an account that you pay it to??

Thanks in advance.

Daftbat
25-01-2012, 08:37 PM
If you have done your return on line then its easy to pay on the HMRC website. Log in just as you did to do the return and you need to go into the self assessment section. You can then view your bill and pay it on line by debit or credit card - its really easy. You wont get anywhere on the phone with them at this time of year.

MrAnchovy
25-01-2012, 10:05 PM
They won't send you anything - that's the whole point of online returns. Log in to HMRC and it should tell you what you have to pay and give you a link to BillPay as well as other ways to pay it.

happyfeet
26-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Excellent!
Thank you!

Last year I had no tax to pay and then when I received a bill in the post (for £0.00) , I assumed that that was how they did it.
Just presumed that this year would be the same but I'd get something telling me the amount.

Brilliant, thanks!!

Hmmmm wonder If I could put the HMRC calls down as an expense, prob cost me a fortune being on hold!!!LOL

Chatterbox Childcare
26-01-2012, 02:35 PM
If you get an itemised bill you can claim