PDA

View Full Version : My own son is becoming a nightmare!!

Fraggle1
25-01-2012, 07:54 PM
hiya!

As the title says my own son (3 yrs) has become so naughty. Seems to be since starting pre-school in September. Has anyone every had a child who starts pre-school then becomes naughty? I don't know if it's the pre-school (he says he's good there) or because of the little ones I look after?
He used to be so well behaved and it seems that they are un-doing all my hard work, makes my job harder when he is bring so rude/not doing as he is told and just generally over the top cheeky! I'm thinking of going in to have a word with pre-school just to maybe just say how he must continue being good at home etc... I love my job but he is making it abit of a nightmare...especially when the mindee's get picked up. I give him loads of attention/cuddles and we do lots at the weekend...just getting fed up :( Any advice? xx I've started using 'Time out' to see if that will work lol x

uf353432
25-01-2012, 08:05 PM
You are not alone, my angelic and obliging 3 yr old started preschool 2 days a week in sept, now her most used phrase is 'I can't' when I ask her to do anything. I am constantly counting to 5 and telling her what item she will loose as a consequence if I get to 5. She waiting until I just start saying 5 before going and finally doing as she is told. In most respects she is utterly lovely - but its definately a phase I am willing her to get through quickly.

Fraggle1
25-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your reply...lovely to know I'm not alone lol Do you think it is still a transition into pre-school? I find myself counting the months til he starts school full time...but then he is so lovely really and I love him so much and will miss the time i have with him but it gets so hard arggghhhhh kids eh? ha ha ah x

alwaysright
25-01-2012, 08:45 PM
my own daughter was also a nightmare at that age, i think it had more to do with the fact she had to share me, her house, her things etc etc than anything to do with preschool, she is ten now and most of the time is fine just has some days when she has to be reminded i'm the childminder not her!! :laughing:

Velleity
25-01-2012, 09:39 PM
My daughter has gone that way and hasn't even started pre-school yet! She's 2.5. Am dreading it if it gets any worse. 'I can't' is her favourite phrase at the moment too.

Stapleton83
25-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I didn't have the problem when my daughter went to pre-school but I wasn't minding then. She started at school and I started minding and she became harder work! However, I would say that going to school and pre-school means that they are concentrating for a sustained period and behaving for that time too so when they come home they are ready to let off some steam but also tired. I am finding that I need to use a variety of strategies with my daughter and things are getting better.

Take a deep breath and take some solace in the fact that you are not alone:)
stick with it, it will get better.

uf353432
25-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't know that it is preschool to be fair - my youngest has grown up with me being a childminder - so she's constantly been around the influence of other children and the local preschool is smashing. I think I was lucky because I didn't really have the terrible 2's with her - so I think she is just testing the boundaries now - and quite rightly so if she doesn't push them then she won't know where they are lol!

JCrakers
26-01-2012, 09:25 AM
My dd was 5yrs when I started minding and she has always been hard work but it did become harder.
Just fighting for my attention and playing up making me really stressed out but getting the attentin she wanted whether it was positive or negative.

Not getting ready for school was one I remember.
Just make sure you give him all the attention you woul dif you wernt minding. Sometimes our own children can be put to the back of the queue because we feel our mindees are paid work and they need more attention from us.

Hes probably testing you, maybe having a great time at preschool but making you feel guilty for sending him.Kids are very good at making us Mums feel guilty no matter what we do :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It will get better