PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering

Helen Dempster
25-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Have any of you ever dealt with stuttering in a very young child (in this case a 2yo)? It seems to take him forever to get some words out - especially ones beginning with 'm'. I just wanted to ask really, if this is just a normal thing or whether one so young could have an actual stutter? Just something that's been niggling at me for a bit.

Thanks guys.

BuggsieMoo
25-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Yes he can have a stutter at this age (my own son had one). We were taught to clap our words - so a clap for every word. This meant he had to think and slow down, therefore minamising the stutter. We was also told to not finish his sentances as this could lead to frustration, just guide x

sarah707
25-01-2012, 08:34 PM
It's quite common in young children and should be ignored where possible - just let the child get his word out and wait patiently until he does.

Speech therapy might be useful - you should suggest an assessment.

Hth :D

jane5
25-01-2012, 09:29 PM
2 of the 5 under 5's that I have on my books stutter.

I think it is quite common and they kind of get too excited when they are telling me something and are talking before they have thought about what they are trying to say.

They dont do it all of the time though.

Pixie dust
25-01-2012, 09:58 PM
interesting thread as I have a 28 month old mindee who has just starting doing this. I have spoken with mum as she is a little concerned, at the moment we are going to see how she goes over the next month but I have suggested talking to speech and language.

The Juggler
25-01-2012, 10:18 PM
my LO who is nealry 3 has just started doing it a little - not too bad, I'm just ignoring and waiting for her to catch up. I think it's brain going faster than they mouth and sorting their ideas out.

:)

cara1235
26-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I have a 2 year lo who has just started to become dis-fluent in his speech ( woo get me with my technical words lol), However his mum is a speech and language therapist and she has said that she is not concerned as most young children go through a stage like this and really the only advice is to let them finish the word themselves and dont rush them , give lots of one to one attention .
I have also completed an ELKAN course which had a fab section on stuttering and all the advice is the same- the child is just starting to get a much broader grasp of language and cant get their words out quick enough, they will come through it though.
xx

Tippy Toes
26-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I look after a little one (2 and half) who has started to stutter and takes him ages to get words out.

Spoke to mum who said he has picked it up off a friend.

Sorry have no advice, will be interested in replies.

teacake2
26-01-2012, 06:24 PM
It is best to just monitor this as it is very common as everyone else has said, but as with everything be prepared to get help if needed, my 3.5 year old started this last summer and it turned out for him that it was to do with the fits he also developed at the same time.
Teacake2

tialil
26-01-2012, 06:51 PM
My son (now 16) used to stutter, had so much to say in so little time. We were advised not to finish his words and just to be patient. Apart from the odd teenage grunt he speaks lovely :rolleyes: