PDA

View Full Version : how much attention do your older mindees need??

adele1985
25-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I have a mindee (9 years old) normally I have her 2 days a week (afterschool) and its normaly just her i have so shes got my attention constantly

This week I have had her extra so have had other mindees too.

Last night it was her birthday so as a treat I done a party tea and got her a cake and we played party games. the other 2 mindees i had had a great time too and they all played nicely together (other mindees are 4 and 5 years)

We played pass the parcel and i got 3 packets of moshi monster figures for each of them to win. Both of the younger mindees were really please with this treat. my older mindee threw a strop as she wasnted the moshi monsters the other mindee had got and he didnt want to swap

Today I picked her up from school and then got my other mindee (4 years) and came home. older mindee wanted to play teachers with the younger mindee and was trying to get him to spell words which he couldent do. I explained that he didnt really understand and suggested she help him make a train track insted

I helped make the train track but older mindee wanted me to do it over the other side of the playroom I told her she could put it over there when its made but while i was making it was easier for it be were it was (another strop) I explained that its not nice to go in s strop as soon as things dont go her way - which made her go in a bigger strop) which i ignored

she then proceeded to ask for cake, biscuits, cookies and crisps (which she had the night before as a party tea) I explained that i didnt have any and it was just as a treat for her birthday (another strop)

As you can imagin when mum came to collect her mindee was still in a strop

normally I would day after schoolies are easier then the little ones but bot tonight lol:rolleyes:

WibbleWobble
25-01-2012, 06:06 PM
i find the schoolies are the hardest

i have 3 under 4 and they are a delight - pleases and thankyous and just generally lovely

the schoolies....well Phil calls them the looney tunes...they are wild. One pair are particularly bad - siblings who fight and torment each other all the time. They are 10 and 7!!!!!

the other schoolies are ok but a bit whingy and demanding....i dont even have my coat off when they are asking for drinks/snacks.

All of them cannot let an adult have a conversation without having to interrupt....and this is probably my biggest moan. When my two were younger they knew not to to interrupt but to stand by me until i finished or come back later.....and one of my two has SEN!!!!

i would love to not have the looney tunes but they are my biggest clients. luckily they are also term time - some of them- but not the two horrors.....unfortunately

mandy xx

ChocolateChip
25-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Depends, some days they are good, others they are a right pain in the wotsit!
I find the older they are the worse they get, used to have a 10yr old boy who was so cocky and rude, used to think he knew it all and thought it was fun to wind everyone up, siblings who fight and argue, have had others who were so fussy over tea time I could only give them three different dishes and then had the cheek to write on questionnaires that I served the same meals all the time :mad:
The holidays drive me nuts aswell, they are never satisfied or grateful for what they get.

I would like to not have schoolies but can't afford to make that decision yet.

Looney tunes, love that!! ;)

blue bear
25-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm touching wood as I type this but at the moment I have a really nice bunch of older children, they are all siblings of the younger children. I find one older child hard work, maybe advertise and take on another the same age?

JCrakers
26-01-2012, 10:12 AM
i find the schoolies are the hardest

i have 3 under 4 and they are a delight - pleases and thankyous and just generally lovely

the schoolies....well Phil calls them the looney tunes...they are wild. One pair are particularly bad - siblings who fight and torment each other all the time. They are 10 and 7!!!!!

the other schoolies are ok but a bit whingy and demanding....i dont even have my coat off when they are asking for drinks/snacks.

All of them cannot let an adult have a conversation without having to interrupt....and this is probably my biggest moan. When my two were younger they knew not to to interrupt but to stand by me until i finished or come back later.....and one of my two has SEN!!!!

i would love to not have the looney tunes but they are my biggest clients. luckily they are also term time - some of them- but not the two horrors.....unfortunately

mandy xx

Sounds like my house. Two brothers who are very hard work...silly on school walk, walking into lamposts cos they were walking sideways,not listening,constantly have to repeat myself, few strops here and there, punching each other when they fall out....:rolleyes:

My only worry about the schoolies is I dont have a lot of time to do anything with them, the toys I have some of them have outgrown so when we get in from school at 4pm, they eat and then they can put the wii on at 4.30pm. A couple go home at 5.15pm the rest watch TV until mum comes at 5.45pm
I find it very hard to entertain them with any activity because they are not interested. Parents seem quite happy though so Im happy

tialil
26-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Yes sounds like mine to and I have only after schoolers at the moment. I dont get so much of the strops but have mostly boys so they all want to be the boss - or answer back or the biggest thing that bugs me is questioning all my decisions . We have messing around leaving school , having to ask them to listen when crossing the road. About 18 months ago they wouldnt listen atall and were messing when we were crossing the road ( I live opp the school and traffic by the time we leave is really quiet) so I made them cross,cross back and did it several times until they listened . Havent really done it since ;)

VeggieSausage
26-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I have 2 cheeky, irritating after schoolies, they are much harder work than the lo's!

Tippy Toes
26-01-2012, 01:39 PM
In the past I have looked after older after schoolies and yes they where on occasion a bit demanding :panic:

A 9yr old I used to care for sounds exactly like you describe, I just ignored the strops and carried on with the other children until she came around. She was a lovely mindee most of the time though, I think its just theie age :rolleyes:

SandCastles
26-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I have a lovely bunch of after schoolers, they all seem to get on with each other, its the taking in turns on the Wii that seems to cause the most problems. My new trick is to set my iphone timer for 15 mins and then they swap, my rules, my way it just takes effort to put this into practice, but they are now realising that I mean business. Saying that ...without the Wii the 2 and a half hours would be a lot harder for me, if they are not entertained with the wii or T.V all they think about is FOOD or FIGHTING.