PDA

View Full Version : advice for departing mindee

nipper
25-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Help, I mind a little girl who is three next month. She is lovely during the day but a complete nightmare at home time. Last week mum collected her and literally had to take her from me kicking and screaming. Tonight with dad she was the same, well that is after she had stood for about a minute making us wait while she 'buttoned' her coat up. She refused to put on her shoes, so when I picked her up to hand her over, she went into meltdown kicking and screaming that she wanted her shoes on. She's with me from 8.30am until just after 5pm twice a week and doesn't have a sleep...she's obviously too tired isn't she. I think I need to have her ready coat , shoes on standing at the door. It doesn't really help when Dad is saying 'come on Princess' !!!!!

Funny thing is, I've been talking about it to her since about 9am this morning...just to prepare her.

rosebud
25-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Speak to mum and dad and ask if they can text you when they leave work so you know when they'll get here. Tell them you'll have her shoes and coat on ready and will just hand her over at the door. Tell them you'll ring later if there's anything you need to discuss with them. This usually works a treat and once she's behaving better they can start coming in again, they'll probably be grateful.

loocyloo
25-01-2012, 05:45 PM
i agree, think having her dressed ready to go home is a great idea, tell her that is 5 minutes ( or however long) mummy will be here, so lets get ready now, so that you can quickly get home and tell mummy all about your day'' so that as soon as parent knocks on the door, its a quick ''ok, mummy is here, time to go'' and out of the door!

good luck xxx

i have a LO ( 2 1/2 ) who is being a monkey at the moment ... won't come in, won't go home! so we are totally ignoring it and he is being put inside the door in the morning and i am putting him in the car in the evening! he has phases of doing this, usually last a couple of weeks!

nipper
25-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for that. I know they have to collect her older siblings from after school club after they pick her up, so time is tight. I'll email them and suggest that, because I'm not turning home time into a big game as far as she's concerned.

nipper
25-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I think it's very much 'learned' behaviour isn't it? Sometime in the past this has happened. a big fuss has been made and now it's the norm. Obviously not from my end, as she only started last week. Perhaps I should feel flattered that she doesn't want to go home...? Er not, especially when she has her wellies on and she's trying to leg it back inside the house!

sarah707
25-01-2012, 06:29 PM
You need a routine which parents agree with and stick to it every session no matter how tired the little princess is.

She'll soon get used to it and hopefully harmony will be restored :D