PDA

View Full Version : can anyone advise, im new to CM

aj2579
25-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Adele and im new to childminding, i have been registered since October 2011 and i have one after school child in my care, i advertise on netmums and childcare.co.uk and im on the FIS, along with an advert at my local londis shop, however ive had a few families out to view my setting they have all turned me down as they feel my home is to small, i am in a small house but seeing has Ofsted have registered me with a ratio of children its becoming frustrating with the responses that im getting from parents and is putting me down a bit on childminding! I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips to help my 'interview' with parents better to they dont see the size of my home an issue, im a very out going person and have thrown myself in to the interviews and have all responded that im a lovely person with a beatiful family but unfortunatley they feel my home does not have enough space for thier child. Also ive now gone very quiet with the enquiries that was coming and was after some tips of where else i could advertise? im desparate to starting some full time work and am on the brink of giving up i think!

your help would be very much appreciated :-)

marnieb
25-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I have a small 2 bed flat, and use it as my selling point - I can always see & hear the mindees, when they're asleep they're in the room next to me. Would that work for you??

claireLouise
25-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problem,s.. Maybe declutter before parents visit. Also enforcise how you make the best use of the room you have.

For example I use my dining room for eating, arts and crafts and homework; my playroom for just that playing; my lounge for quiet time but overspill from playroom when no one sleeping and busy.

Hope this helps, don't give up!

Best wishes

Claire

rosebud
25-01-2012, 03:12 PM
My house is small and as the previous poster says my parents seem to see it as plus, no matter where the children are playing I can see and hear them at all times and also in the garden too. Children only go upstairs to sleep.

I always tell parents about the groups I'll take their child to and the parks we'll use as I am aware I can't possibly provide everything a nursery would provide at home but by going to groups, parks, swimming (sometimes), the library, shops, etc they are getting a good range of activities.

I'm sure most of us would agree that it does take a while to get started and that families are like buses (none for ages then lots at once). Make sure you have told absolutely everyone you know that you are a childminder now, word of mouth is usually the best advertising. Do you have your own children? If so make sure you are dropping it into conversations with their friends parents and at any groups you go to.

sarah707
25-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I would ask a friend to come round and look at your space. Ask them to advise you on how to make things look bigger - you can do wonders with smaller furniture, a de-clutter, different colours on the floor and walls etc.

Also make sure everything is tidy and away when parents come. It's easy to be used to somewhere and not see what it looks like to an outsider.

Hth :D

funemnx
25-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the forum!

As said before, I would promote how you take the children to a variety of activities outside of the house and how much you would do with them when home, hope all works out well for you, I'm sure things will pick up soon x

aj2579
25-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone thank you for the welcoming and thank ŷou all for your replies, all noted and taken on board for when/if I get more enquiries, it's just so frustrating!! I'm so ready to start and excited about doing the childminding but very disheartened about all at the same time, we have small amounts of furniture but enough of it if that makes Sence with a nice tidy toy storage. I don't actually know many people and my daughters school is crawling with childminders, so very high competition! Thing is I feel cheeky walking up to them and asking if they could help by passing on my details if they are full!!

Bear23
25-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi everyone thank you for the welcoming and thank ŷou all for your replies, all noted and taken on board for when/if I get more enquiries, it's just so frustrating!! I'm so ready to start and excited about doing the childminding but very disheartened about all at the same time, we have small amounts of furniture but enough of it if that makes Sence with a nice tidy toy storage. I don't actually know many people and my daughters school is crawling with childminders, so very high competition! Thing is I feel cheeky walking up to them and asking if they could help by passing on my details if they are full!!

Don't feel cheeky,thats how we all start x will break the ice too x good luck x

Velleity
25-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I live in a small two-bedroomed maisonette however none of the parents that I have visited have been put off by this. The bathroom is on the ground floor and easily accessible by children, I am never more than a room away from the bedroom they sleep in and there is no risk of a child falling down the stairs as I have none :-)
Also there's no risk of ever being trapped in the house if there was a fire as we are all on the downstairs level and could just climb out a window.
You just need to think of the positives and really sell them.

aj2579
30-01-2012, 01:23 PM
hi everyone, thank you all so much for your positive vibes and responses, however things have taken a turn for the worse, i basically had a parent out last minute last thursday and she wanted to come back friday and sign a contract for a start this wednesday, however i received a nasty text from her this morning with her terminating a contract and that shes reporting me to NCMA, but i have done nothing wrong :(

stargazer1
30-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh my goodness, how can she report you when you haven't even looked after her child? On what grounds?? No wonder you are feeling so disheartened :(

Bear23
30-01-2012, 02:41 PM
hi everyone, thank you all so much for your positive vibes and responses, however things have taken a turn for the worse, i basically had a parent out last minute last thursday and she wanted to come back friday and sign a contract for a start this wednesday, however i received a nasty text from her this morning with her terminating a contract and that shes reporting me to NCMA, but i have done nothing wrong :(

why? has she given a reason? you sure she just wasn't after your reg number?

Two Princesses
30-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Thats just plain weird! What could she possibly report you for?

PS, in the same boat as you with being new and no enquires :-(

mumto3
30-01-2012, 02:47 PM
where in bracknell do you live?

NicoleW
30-01-2012, 05:12 PM
My God. Hope you're okay :( howcome she is reporting you?

aj2579
30-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Apparently she is accusing me of running an illegal business by saying I've not notified tax credits to accept childcare vouchers! I have notified them I'm a childminder but I'm under the understanding that it's down to parents to sort out the childcare vouchers not me!

Tealady
31-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Firstly, I'm just up the road from you in Reading and things have gone very quiet here. I always seem to get peaks and troughs in enquiries and now is a bit of a trough.

Secondly, I don't know how vouchers and tax credits work together but normally the parent sort out the vouchers via their employer. All you then have to do is sign up with the voucher provider, normally just envolves fillling in a form and giving them your Reg No or a copy of your certificate and then payment can begin.

Don't worry about her complaining, Ofsted/NCMA will soon set her straight!