PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong with Play dough?

Mummits
25-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Hello all, hope someone can help? I have a cooked playdough recipe - ! cup flour, 2 water, 1 salt, 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 of cream of tartar (plus optional colour, essentail oil or glitter). I used to make it regularly and I'm sure it was okay 95% of the time but having got back into it recently my play dough keeps going wrong - coming out too sticky and messy. Can anyone suggest either what I'm doing wrong or a better recipe? Thank you.

loocyloo
25-01-2012, 01:01 PM
:( don't know, thats the same recipe as me!

TooEarlyForGin?
25-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Are you cooking it for long enough? I find I make sure it is really "cooked" otherwise it can be quite sticky.

The Juggler
25-01-2012, 01:54 PM
my recipe is only 1 of each of water and flour and one tsp of cream of tartar. try cooking a bit longer

uf353432
25-01-2012, 01:57 PM
if its too sticky add more flour and keep kneading it and it should come good.

Ripeberry
25-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I use one cup of plain flour, one cup of water (colour and oil mixed in), one tablespoon of baby oil, one teaspoon of tartar. Mix it all in a microwave proof bowl. Cook for 30 seconds, take out and stir and repeat until it's no longer sticky. Always works well.
Sounds like your mixture is just too wet to start with.

funemnx
25-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I'd say cook it for longer too, the flour needs to be completely cooked - it'll be very stiff and quite hard to stir but keep cooking it for another 5 minutes :thumbsup:

christine e
25-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Try just one cup of water and put boiling water in then you don't need to cook on the hob - if too sticky just put more flour in - if too dry just add a tiny bit more hot water

Cx

Mummits
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I use one cup of plain flour, one cup of water (colour and oil mixed in), one tablespoon of baby oil, one teaspoon of tartar. Mix it all in a microwave proof bowl. Cook for 30 seconds, take out and stir and repeat until it's no longer sticky. Always works well.
Sounds like your mixture is just too wet to start with.

Thanks Ripeberry = and everyone else. I have just done a batch to your recipe and it seems fine, though it did seem to take ages, I will try some of the others too and see which I like best. I have a modelling game using the playdough and the flashcards for the after schoolers this afternoon.

jadavi
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi I have discovered a great no cook playdoh which uses boiling water...much the same recipe:
1/2 cup salt
cup flour
tblsp tartar
tbsp oil
cup boiling water with colouring and fruit tea bag!!
mix and stir.
I find I have to add up to a handfull of erxtra flour to get rid of stickiness but this is great playdoh and lasts months.

jadavi
07-02-2012, 02:03 PM
whats the modelling game Mummits? sounds interesting if it uses playdoh

RachelE
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.topmarks.co.uk/Parents/play-dough-recipe

this is the one I use - made this morning and works well.

Rachel x

ORKSIE
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
My Play doh is great on the dat I make it....the next day it is sticky:panic:

Whats that all about:huh:

x

Mummits
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
whats the modelling game Mummits? sounds interesting if it uses playdoh

They have a pile of cards each and take it in turns to have a sneaky look at the top card in their pile (picture side for littlies, writing side for bigger ones) then a couple of minutes to model the word (cat, nest, baby etc) and the others have to guess what it is. The modeller gets a new card if their model is correctly guessed, and the guesser gets another card too. The one with the most cards at the end of whatever time you choose wins (also encourages counting!)

miffy
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Hello all, hope someone can help? I have a cooked playdough recipe - ! cup flour, 2 water, 1 salt, 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 of cream of tartar (plus optional colour, essentail oil or glitter). I used to make it regularly and I'm sure it was okay 95% of the time but having got back into it recently my play dough keeps going wrong - coming out too sticky and messy. Can anyone suggest either what I'm doing wrong or a better recipe? Thank you.

Mine would be 2 flour, 2 water, 1 salt, 1 oil, 1 cream of tartar and cook over a low heat until it forms a ball, stirring all the time.

Miffy xx

jumping j
08-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi I have discovered a great no cook playdoh which uses boiling water...much the same recipe:
1/2 cup salt
cup flour
tblsp tartar
tbsp oil
cup boiling water with colouring and fruit tea bag!!
mix and stir.
I find I have to add up to a handfull of erxtra flour to get rid of stickiness but this is great playdoh and lasts months.

this is the one I use and I always add an extra 1/2 cup of flour to get rid of the stickiness, I made my first batch in september/october and it's still going strong!!!

ELLA_J
08-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Try just one cup of water and put boiling water in then you don't need to cook on the hob - if too sticky just put more flour in - if too dry just add a tiny bit more hot water

Cx

thats exactly what i do...... the children love watching it change :)