PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help please!!

vic83
25-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Can someone please help me write a letter to a parent? I am asking to change hours the child now attends 9:30am-4:30pm i need to change pick up to 3:00pm. I understand that if its not going to be any good for them they will have to find another childminder but just cant think how to explain this in a letter!!! :panic:

BuggsieMoo
25-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Dear XXX

Due to a change in circumstances, I am writing to advise that from XX I will no longer be able to offer care to XX until 1630.

I propose that from XX, XXX's hours are amended and that collection will be at the new time of 1500. I confirm that XXX's fee's will be amended from XXX to reflect this change in hours.

I hope that the above change will be acceptable to yourself and I look forward to hearing from you in respect of this matter.

Regards

XX

Goatgirl
25-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Tricky without knowing any details... but

How about+

"Dear x,
I am writing to give you notice that due to a change in circumstances, as of x/x/x I will be unable to care for x after 3pm/ closing my setting at 3pm.

I hope you can accommodate this change as I would love to keep working with you and caring for x. Please let me know by x/x/x whether you wish to continue with adjusted hours.

Please note that in the unfortunate event that you do need to end our contract, 4 weeks notice is payable. However I sincerely hope we can continue working together with the new hours.

Regards,
x

good luck,
Wendy :)

Mummits
25-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm sure you appreciate this, but I don't believe you will be able to insist on your notice period if you unilaterally change the contract terms i.e you propose to amend your hours sooner than in 4 weeks time. To be reasonable I think you also need to give the parents a reasonable time to consider whether they can live with the change too, rather than expecting an instant decision, so in practice I'd probably give them 5 weeks notice of the change to allow them to think than give 4 weeks notice if they want.

Goatgirl
25-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm sure you appreciate this, but I don't believe you will be able to insist on your notice period if you unilaterally change the contract terms i.e you propose to amend your hours sooner than in 4 weeks time. To be reasonable I think you also need to give the parents a reasonable time to consider whether they can live with the change too, rather than expecting an instant decision, so in practice I'd probably give them 5 weeks notice of the change to allow them to think than give 4 weeks notice if they want.

I agree :),
I assumed there is time for this to happen, but if not, its the childminders 'fault' and if she is breaking the contract by not providing the hours agreed then the parents will be quite within their rights to end the contract without notice on the final day the hours are available :thumbsup:

Might be worth a ring to insurers to check you are not going to be liable to a claim by parents to refund or compensate them for the remainder of the notice period too, if this is the case?

Hope it works out well :)
wendy :)

vic83
25-01-2012, 12:43 PM
In my contract i have any changes i will give 4 weeks notice, so it be be ok this way wont it?:confused:

Goatgirl
25-01-2012, 12:49 PM
In my contract i have any changes i will give 4 weeks notice, so it be be ok this way wont it?:confused:

I would think so, but do see mummits point about giving the parents time to think about the change etc. I think in your postiion I would say you can only provide the contracted hours for another 4 weeks, but if they take a week to think about it, say, just agree to 3 weeks notice from then. so they pay for the 4 weeks from your notice of change...
Once the four weeks is up though, unless they have signed to agree to the change I wouldn't necessarily expect them to pay into the period they haven't agreed to, as you have effectively ended the contract at the date you can't provide care as per the contract.

Does that make sense?!

good luck :) Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:
wendy

vic83
25-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah i understand. Thanks :)

The Juggler
25-01-2012, 01:53 PM
good advice hon. I would also sit parent(s) down and explain to them first what is in letter before just 'surprising' them with the letter.:)

catminder
25-01-2012, 01:57 PM
If I had to change hours I would discuss it/explain to parent rather than write a letter. Then if the parent agreed with change of hours I would ammend the contract accordingly.