PDA

View Full Version : Child sick ONCE in the night.

Tippy Toes
25-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi All

Parent has just dropped off very happy child.

But when leaving parent mentioned that child had been sick just once in the night and to make sure she has lots of fluids.

Would you of still taken the child?

Like I said child seems absolutely fine, full of beans, very happy etc and as it was only the once I am assuming it was maybe just something she ate?

What do you think?

Thanks all xx

Mouse
25-01-2012, 10:43 AM
How old is the child, had she eaten (and kept down) breakfast and had she been given any medication this morning that might mask any other symptoms?

If she seemed happy & lively at drop off I would probably have taken her in , but told parents that at the first sign of her being unwell I would phone them & she'd need to be collected immediately.

I know I'm possibly in the minority, but having had children of my own who can be sick once, but then perfectly OK, I know it can happen.

I would also be thankful that parents told you she'd been sick. I bet many wouldn't mention it, so you'd never know. At least they have told you so you are pre-warned.

EmmaReed84
25-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with Mouse... My son has on occasion been randomly sick, wasn't ill before or after just randomly ran to the loo, vomitted, cried, had a drink and was then fine.

I would keep an eye on LO and also call Mum if there are any signs they are unwell... This is the hardest part of the job for me, knowing when to send home, turn away or continue care.

Tippy Toes
25-01-2012, 10:49 AM
How old is the child, had she eaten (and kept down) breakfast and had she been given any medication this morning that might mask any other symptoms?

If she seemed happy & lively at drop off I would probably have taken her in , but told parents that at the first sign of her being unwell I would phone them & she'd need to be collected immediately.

I know I'm possibly in the minority, but having had children of my own who can be sick once, but then perfectly OK, I know it can happen.

I would also be thankful that parents told you she'd been sick. I bet many wouldn't mention it, so you'd never know. At least they have told you so you are pre-warned.

Child had breakfast and kept it down, She is 2 and a half. Didnt ask about medication as she seemed so well and happy.

Goatgirl
25-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Its so annoying when parents catch you on the hop like that! I have just had a difficult time getting it across to a family that sick is sick regardless of how well the child is afterwards. Its not about that individual child, its about everyone involved in your setting. Just because child is feeling well does not mean she is not infectious or that anyone else catching the bug will fare as well and be as little affected :(.

I would probably call now and say you caught me on the hop this morning. HPA guidelines are no attendance for 48 hours after any bout of sickness or diarrhoea so she needs to be collected as she's still infectious. And can't return until 48 hours after last bout of either D or V.

It is possible that it was something she ate etc, but as you just can't tell, you need to go by symptom = vomiting = 48 hour exclusion.

I know its difficult, I have a mindee who often is sick just in the morning, gets a headache and tummyache , is sick soon after and always fine again in herself by lunchtime and full of beans. We are wondering if its something like migraine, but unless that is confirmed by a doctor and can be identified as different to 'normal' sickness I still can't accept her within the 48 hours and think it would be unfair of parents to bring her on the mornings she gets the tell tale headache and tummyache. Its just not fair on everyone else otherwise.

Hope you get this sorted, so that the parents don't think they can do this again. Might be time to update your policy and send everyone a copy home ;).

good luck,
Wendy :)

TooEarlyForGin?
25-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Also agree with Mouse. I regularly have a little girl who seems to just have a "sensitive" tummy. If she eats too much she can be sick, but then is fine. As the other said, just keep a close eye on her, lots of handwashing, and not letting her get too cuddly with any others you may have.

snufflepuff
25-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Honestly, no, I'd have sent them away. I once allowed a child to attend who seemed perfectly fine but had been sick once the evening before- the child was fine all day but then she was sick again just before she was due to be collected from me. Turned out she had a nasty tummy bug that she had kindly passed to my son, meaning I had to close and lose 3 days wages.

nic t
25-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Hmmm I think I would have sent home. How can you re-inforce your sickness policy with parents if you don't enforce it yourself? It is so difficult and I agree def one of the hardest parts of the job.

I can't see why a child of that age would just be randomly sick in the night? Fair enough with babies after milk/food etc.

My Cm friend had a new baby start a few weeks ago. Dad brought on first day and said he had been sick in night but was dodgy milk(?) def not a bug and CM friend accepted. He was fine until later in the day when he had a runny nappy. My friend caught the bug, her dd and ds and she had to take almost a week off work with no pay. When she phoned the mum to say she was ill and couldn't have mindee mum told her that he had had a bug and that all there family had had it too-nice!

Tippy Toes
25-01-2012, 11:05 AM
It all happened so quick this morning, parent chatted like normal when child came in, child was really happy and couldn't wait to come in, and then very quickly as parent leaving mentions she was sick once and to give lots of fluid...

It was only once I shut the door I thought should I have said sorry cant have her :blush:

Oh this is hard, she has had a snack and is fine....

Dont know what to do :blush::blush:

JCrakers
25-01-2012, 11:59 AM
It really is so hard. As a parent I know kids can be randomly sick and absolutly fine afterwrds. Just didnt sit well in the stomach and has come back up again but as a childminder I know what complications it brings.I caught a bug in November and ended up in bed for two days. I had to refund money and cancel all the children. With no sick pay Its such a pain when you catch things off the children but then dont get any pay :angry:

BuggsieMoo
25-01-2012, 12:16 PM
See I always fine this hard. My own LO who is now 4 and in full time school suffers from an illness that affects her bowls and her stomach - meaning she can be randomly sick and get the runs if she eats anything she is allergic to. As you can imagine this can at times be lots and other times she seems fine.

However 2 years down the line and we have got to a solution - she is allowed to attend school if she has had sickness and the runs as long as 1) no temp, 2) it is not on-going 3) I have to keep a very detailed food diary so I can pinpoint where she may have come into contact 4) I am always on standby to pick up incase it is illness and 5) packed lunches only so I know what is going in her as I have to prep her food espcially (she is dairy, soya, egg and wheat intolerant).

The school and indeed her old nursery applied these rules cos if she does get the symptoms, they can last for a few days to allow it to leave her system fully. Her paediatrican was also very good and wrote to the school to explain it - she's not ill but she has these intolerances and an underveloped stomach and bottom. If not, she would miss so much school.

However, if I even so much as suspect she may be ill - she goes nowhere and I close.

Hope all that makes sense cos I have just seemed to waffle :laughing:

lorimac
25-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I had the exact same a few weeks ago, parent turns up, oh wee guy sick last last nite but he's fine now it was only because he spent the day before at grans and she overfed him, he was fine all day , fast forward 2 days and all my mindees off sick. Now I have sent out a letter to all parents, sick is sick regardless of whether you think hes fine and 24 hour exclusion applies.....

Goatgirl
25-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I think you should decide based on how you want things to go next time.

Firstly, parents need to realise its not for them to mention it as they're leaving your house. They should have called and explained the situation so that you had the opportunity to ask questions and make a decision. It is your setting and the responsibility of the other childrens care is yours, as is your policy for infection control.

Secondly, in my experience, once you let them get away with it once, they'll try it on again.

I missed the final (and most fun!) 2 days of term before my christmas break because of overlooking a child's sickness as he was 'perfectly ok now'. I lost 2 days pay so was short over christmas all other families were put to inconvenience and I had to waste a day of my hols delivering cards and pressies I was going to send home with the children on their last day. (I don't drive and my navigational skills are non existent :D).

True, I could have picked up the bug somewhere else, but its a big coincidence and I have now got very tough with sickness, so in future I can be sure I don't lose out because I am too soft :thumbsup:

Do what you feel is right and you can live with :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)