PDA

View Full Version : Being accredited

EmmaReed84
25-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Sorry to sounds so stupid :blush: but does it actually mean to be accredited, I understand you can offer funded space but how does it actually work? How do you get paid? What does it mean for you as a childminder? Does it show you are better than outstanding? Do you have to be outstanding to be accredited?

The reason I ask is because parent asked about and DO had mentioned to me about me looking to do it in a few years time... Is it worth it?

Sorry for all the questions

maisiemog
25-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Hi,

In our area your DO will come out, assess you with the LOs, check your paperwork, tell you it isnt good enough(maybe that was just mine!:blush:) and then put you forward if they think you are able to meet the criteria.

You do usually need at least a level 3 qualification. I have looked at the process and decided against it as I would take a pay cut for the hours that they were claiming the funding, although you can actually claim it for your own children.

It's paid directly from the council at the end of each term after you give them a form saying how many funded hours each child has attended.

QualityCare
25-01-2012, 08:21 AM
The money for funded children might be less than you charge per hour and you cannot ask the parents to make up the difference.

TooEarlyForGin?
25-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I am currently going through this. To be accredited in Essex, I will have to join a network then I will have to gain a good or outstanding OFSTED grade, be level 3 qualified, attend 2 out of 3 network meetings, do 20 hours of training a year, and have just sent back a 30 page initial assessment form. I am doing this as I will loose 2 children to pre-school otherwise and after being packed full for 7 years am quieter than usual.

It is frustrating as I told my parents that this is for term time only, but was cheekily told, well hopefully you can fit them in during the holidays. :mad: I explained that I may not have the space available as I would take on new children, but as they are both self-employed they can be flexible with their times and she said "oh we would be happy to fit in wherever you have the space". I know I should say "no sorry" but then I also know I may need the business.

sarahjane
25-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I too am just going through the process and it is the same as TooEarlyforGin. I am just about to complete the process of joining the network and then the accreditation bit begins although alot of it will have already been covered with the network bit!
I have done it as work is so slow around here I thought it might generate more interest in my spaces. I am hoping to have all day children that use their entitlement here and so although my income will be less I will still be getting something!
I didn't realise it was paid in arrears though :eek:

JulieA
25-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm accredited and here we get an interim payment at the start of the term based on potential numbers and then the balance at the end of the term for the actuals - if that makes sense.

As I understand it you need to be a network member, working towards a level 3 qualification, agree to 20 hours training a year - although this doesn't appear to be enforced, and to attend one childminding session per week at a children's centre (this is for access to a qualified 'teacher'). Oh and I have an annual visit from the DO.

I don't find there is any real increase in paperwork apart from the headcount forms issued each term. The hourly rate here is just below my private rate, but if you offer various start and end times there is a flexibility payment of an extra 50p per hour, which actually takes it over my rate. Also the funded amount is for the care you provide only and not for food or outings or pick ups so you can charge separetly for these as long as you advise the parents of this up front. Also you need to give parents the option to provide a packed lunch or to pay to have a meal provided by you.

sarahjane
25-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Ok that's brilliant, thanks for the information.

My friend is seeing the DO this morning with reference to her accreditation so she's going to quiz her over what happens in this area.

EmmaReed84
25-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks guy... as per usual this forum has provided me with a good insight.

Next question... What do you mean by join a network?

TooEarlyForGin?
25-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I think a network childminder is someone who agrees to set certain standards to her setting, undertake a minimum amount of training, attended meetings and possibly be a back up to other local minders in the event of holidays or training.

I love your website Emma - was it easy to do? I notice your are also in Essex, I am in North Essex near Hedingham are you anywhere near here?

JCrakers
25-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Im in the process as a parent asked me if I would give it a go and I agreed :D

Im not 100% sure why Im doing it as I see a benefit for the parent but no benefit for me at all...In fact I will be getting a little less money per hour so Im not feeling confident about the whole process at the moment

EmmaReed84
25-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I love your website Emma - was it easy to do? I notice your are also in Essex, I am in North Essex near Hedingham are you anywhere near here?

Thank you. I was pretty easy to do. I used a free hosting website called webs... took a while to get to grips with it but they have easy step by step instructions of what to do.

I live in South Essex not too far from Basildon. It is kind of between Basildon and Lakeside.

TooEarlyForGin?
25-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Ahh, was hoping for a local Essex minder as am joining the network to become accredited. Will check out the website idea thanks. :)

rosebud
25-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Im in the process as a parent asked me if I would give it a go and I agreed :D

Im not 100% sure why Im doing it as I see a benefit for the parent but no benefit for me at all...In fact I will be getting a little less money per hour so Im not feeling confident about the whole process at the moment

I agree the benefit is mostly to the parent as it offers them more choice and flexibity. However it benefits us if we don't lose children to pre-school and nursery when they turn 3. With regards to money I suppose it depends where you live, my hourly rate was just under what they pay so I gained from it (not by much though) but now I charge a daily rate I'm not quite sure how it will work next time I have a funded child.