PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

LeeMarie
24-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I have a lady coming to visit who is currently living abroad with her oh and lo. Their work is transferring them back to the UK in July and she’s here for a few days to sort out their accommodation (they’ve bought a house but never seen it!) and childcare for her lo.

My problem is she will not be bringing her lo to visit as he is staying abroad with his dad but she needs to arrange childcare for when they move back. Would you agree to care for a lo without meeting them first? I would have no idea if he’ll like me, my family or get on with my other los. I always do a four week settling in period so I could end the contract if I wasn’t happy.

tashaleee
24-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I have done this before but the LO was only 10 months old when they started - I did meet the child prior to day one and never really had any issues so yes it can work out ok (for me the age of the child would be important) :thumbsup:

Tealady
24-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Maybe not ideal, but at least you do have a settling in period if it doesn'y work out. At least you will have met one of the parents to get a vague feel of how the relationship may work out.

muffins
24-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I have once taken on a mindee without meeting them, parents came to visit with another set of parents as kids where friends & they wanted them kept together. Parents seemed v nice & I have never turned away a child from just meeting them on thier 1st visit so didn't really think much of it tbh!

EmmaReed84
25-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Do you have Skype?

May sound silly but if you do take on this contract, how about asking mum to skype you with her LO so you can see him, and he can see you. That way he will kind of know you when he comes to the uk and not feel like he is leaving his home and everything he knows and being left with a total stranger... Just a thought

miffy
25-01-2012, 07:57 AM
I'd expect mum to come and stay with the child at least a couple of times before he started with you but, as you say, you have the settling in period if things go wrong.

Miffy xx

Demonjill
25-01-2012, 08:21 AM
I would prefer to do at least one visit prior to starting and to make sure parents know about your settling in period and how it works :thumbsup:

singingcactus
25-01-2012, 09:42 AM
I've done it loads of times. It's just a way of life in the military. We get posted, we contact new base to find out what childcare there is and organise it.

Can't imagine ever taking such a dislike to a child on the first meeting that I would refuse to care for him anyway.

Tippy Toes
25-01-2012, 09:48 AM
If you get on with mum then yes I would go for it without meeting the child.

Like you said you have a four week settling in period so if things dont work out you can always end the contract. I would just make mum aware of this.

Hope things work out well for you xx

Mummits
25-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I think I'd probably take a risk with a baby or very young child, with the reassurance of being able to quit during the four week settling in period. I don't think I'd take on an older child without meeting them and guaging their temperament/behavior and how they felt about the proposed arrangements.