PDA

View Full Version : Child that does not like messy/sensory play

welshgirl
24-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Can anyone help me. Mindee nearly 18 months does not like any kind of messy play or sensory play. I have tried various things dough, sand, goop, foam etc. He pokes it moves away and will not return! Tried noodles for chinese new year, but that had the same reaction. I have tried paint a few times and he has not liked that either. He really likes cars so I have added these to the paint, goop etc but he still will not go near it. Any ideas on any other activities for him. Should I just keep introducing him to the differernt textures or just leave it?

muffins
24-01-2012, 08:17 PM
You could try putting paydough or something else in a zip lock bag & give him that!

nikki thomson
24-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Hi, some chIkdren just don't like the texture of things but you usually find this gets better the older they get, having said that my son who is now 8 has never liked getting his hands dirty, or himself for that matter, when he was little he would never do finger painting/ playdoh, he came home from pre-school spotless, he just didn't do messy things, even when he started school and they did a messy race for children in need he wouldn't do it as his clothes would get dirty, he's abit better now but TBH if they don't want to do it I don't have a problem with it, each child is different. X

moggy
24-01-2012, 08:26 PM
If he doesn't like it just leave it. He will not suffer and he will benefit from you respecting his likes and dislikes. If there are opportunities for this kind of play around in a month or two he may have an interest in it by then, or not. It is easy to forget we should follow their interests and not what you think they should be doing! If he loves cars then that's great- plenty of things to offer there. Some people just don't like messy fingers (I have known many toddlers like this, some change their preference with time some don't), it is not a 'problem' or something that needs to be 'solved', it is just a personal preference like any other that should be respected.:)

The Juggler
24-01-2012, 10:27 PM
what about just plain water - nice and clean :p however, as others have said if he really doesn't like it don't worry. just keep offering different options.t but also give him and let him get on with what he really likes - he'll be getting plenty of learning out of that :)

lights etc, and smells and 'dry' sensory play items will give equally good sensory learning and blocks and cars and ramps equally good KUW/PSRN learning.

Babycat
25-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Ive done zip lock bag, velcro pictures, contact paper collage, blow painting (put paint on paper first then blow) emmm my mindee didnt like messy at first but we used the above to get used to aprons and activity times and plenty or reassurance about hand washing after and he is in love with craft times!!

Tealady
29-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Just out of interest, what is he like with food, especially finger foods?

Would he do baking? Cakes use utensils but then you could move onto scones where you rub the flour and butter together.