PDA

View Full Version : Dilema!

sophia36
24-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Just needing a bit of advice!
A parent has just told me they are moving about 20 miles away and their little one will be leaving me at some point but they don't have a definate date. I will lose about £400 a month when he leaves. Work has been very thin on the ground lately and several local childminders have given up in the last few weeks due to the absence of work. I've had an enquiry for a little boy who needs the same hours and days as the little one who will be leaving. I've met the parents and the little boy and they are absolutely smashing and want the space from mid april

My dillema is should i-

a- let the parents know now that i have a new little one starting in mid april
and i wanted to give them plenty of notice in case they haven't moved in time?

b-give notice at the end of feb for mid april

c-keep quiet for now and hope they have moved

d-apply to ofsted for a variation to have 4 under 3's to cover the overlap

I really don't want to let this little one's parents down and leave them with no childcare but equally i need to secure my earnings as they could leave at anytime. I just don't know what to do for the best!!!:panic:

I've only had this little one 3 months

~Grasshopper~
24-01-2012, 07:40 PM
hi

i would sign contracts with the new child and let the other mum and dad know, they are the ones who have chosen to leave they cant leave you hanging around.

x

Demonjill
24-01-2012, 07:42 PM
If the parents are easy to talk to then I would have a realistic chat - after all they have already mentioned to you what"WILL" be happening in the future. And in a way they have you dangling on dont they. Thats not fair.:(

You could say nothing but they might be here for ages ...or ...they could suddenly decide they are going RIGHT NOW ....... either way you lose out on new mindee and more secure future than what you have now:thumbsup:

mushpea
24-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I dont think ofsted would allow you a variation as its a new child but you could try this first and see what happens,, I personaly would explain the situation to both parents,, the new parents might be able to get some help from family for a while, the old set might be able to aswell but even if they cant you have to make it clear that you cant hang on indefinatly and I think that telling them now is giving them plenty of notice to make other arrangments

sophia36
24-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately the parents are not easy to talk to at all. Had i realised this initially i probably wouldn't have taken them on. I'm worried if i let them know too soon it will make for an awkward few months.
I probably just need to be brave!

Demonjill
24-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I would just say that they were the ones who said they were leaving so you have had to advertise their space as you cannot afford to have no/little income.

Baildon bears
24-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I had a simular situation only recently, parents gave notice but gave me three months notice, I had an enquiry a month after that I could not turn down, so I gave them a months notice. They were not happy but I had to think of my own business, they thought they were doing me a favour giving such long notice but it just gives you more time to worry, it worked out for the best in my situation.

flowerpots
24-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Sign contracts and just tell them straight hun, 10weeks is a long time. :)

Wendybird
24-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I think I'd find a way to get a variation if possible. Could the other child start on a different day initially so they were existing business? Tricky, I know. If not, I'd take the new contract on and let the other family know in 4 weeks if they don't let you know the moving date by then.