PDA

View Full Version : New lo with hearing problems

polobear1970
22-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi everybody,

firstly let me start by saying not sure if i have put this post in the right place.

I have just taken on a 4 month old who is deaf in both ears, I'm looking to purchase some equipment that she would benefit from either now or as she gets older, i'm looking into Makaton classes, which hopefully start in September.

If any of you have any other ideas i would love to hear from you.

Take care

Lisa

Blaze
22-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Would highly recommend this course:

http://www.babysign.co.uk/default.aspx

Very resonably priced too...oh & of course Mr Tumble!:)

miffy
22-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Have you talked to the parents about what support they receive for the lo.

Does either parent have a hearing impairment?

Parents may be able to give you some advice and support - they will have been dealing with their lo's deafness since he/she was diagnosed

I did an excellent course on baby signing with a company called tiny talk so you could see if they have any classes in your area

Good luck

miffy xx

Blaze
22-05-2008, 09:56 AM
All sorts of flashcards too...someone posted on here a link to Sparkle box re what we di today flashcards etc...these would be helpful IYSWIM.:)

Blaze
22-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Here's the tiny talk link:

http://www.tinytalk.co.uk/

:)

miffy
22-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Blaze just reminded me there is an excellent website

www.do2learn.com

that has lots of flash cards too and you can make your own

miffy xx

avril
22-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi

Have you tried contacting your local children centres to see if they have any courses or play sessions you could join in with?

Don't forget equal opps shop are offering free BSL signing posters but will probally be too old for now but could get them in for future.

Good luck

sarah707
22-05-2008, 11:07 AM
One of our members - Chell - has a forum specially for anyone interested in or wanting more information about or parenting a child with a hearing impairment...

You will be made very welcome there I am sure :D

http://www.signtogether.co.uk/forum/index.php

Blaze
22-05-2008, 12:02 PM
:doh: Can't believe that I didn't mention Chell!:blush:

polobear1970
22-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks you have given me some great ideas.

Neither of the parent have hearing problems, so new to them as well, mum is bringing me some details of classes that are in the local area, so will go to them.

what would be be helpful is if of you have had looked after a child with hearing problems.

Te other thing that would be great is if any of you know of any toys which might be really good for her.

Many thanks

Lisa

Blaze
22-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I've looked after a partially hearing Lo...I had hearing problems as a child & so does my dd. TBH I have found in my admittedy limited experience that LO's with hearing dificulties like just the same things...you just have to be mindful..ie instead of a normal drum I have a light & sounds drum ELC...so not only does it make a sound it also lights up...when "moving to music" I turn the bass & treble up, so LO's can feel the vibration & move to that etc. IYSWIM...Water, sand, painting, bricks all jsut as popular!

I think being able to comunicate was jumped on as it will ease frustration & this age is a great age to start at!

You will need to be aware as LO gets older safety issues in outdoor environments & thinks like fire drills..but i can't see there being anything that you can't work around.:)

sarah707
22-05-2008, 12:53 PM
You don't need special toys as such... it's not about the resources it's about how you play with them with the child.

The child's other senses will be busy compensating so you need to give them every chance to work harder... lots of sensory play, lots of music and movement, just make the play more touchy feely and visual.

I used to be an educational audiologist - ask if you want to know anything specific or like I said huge expertise over on Chell's forum :D

katickles
22-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Great suggestions from Blaze there. I'd go for toys that have textures & reflective areas, mirrors etc.

You can get a drum just like the ELC one in Tescos for about £6 - Bargain!

Good luck with your mindee :)

polobear1970
22-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks again for all your advise, i'm going to look into the drum from the elc

I don't have any children of my own so have been very lucky with friends and family passing down things, but if there was anything that would be benifical i would and buy.

Thanks again all help gratefully received

Lisa

Chell
22-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I've just replied to your post on my forum. You'll need to find out what type of signing the parents wish to use (if any, some parents are against signing).

Tinytalk mentioned above use British Sign Language, this is the first or prefered language of 70,000 Deaf people in the UK.

If you look at my shop (http://www.chelltune.co.uk) there are loads of different products from different companies.

Everyone who entered my competition on this forum was sent a discount code for my site, I'll dig it out later or perhaps someone else will post it for you (sorry, I'm rushing to work in a minute).

Chell
22-05-2008, 08:37 PM
If you look at my shop (http://www.chelltune.co.uk) there are loads of different products from different companies.

Everyone who entered my competition on this forum was sent a discount code for my site, I'll dig it out later or perhaps someone else will post it for you (sorry, I'm rushing to work in a minute).

The code is 'Childminding' - this gives 5% off any product.

miffy
22-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Thank you Chell

miffy xx

Chell
20-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Polobear,

How are things going?

polobear1970
21-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Hi Polobear,

How are things going?

Hi Chell,

Things are going well, at the moment I only have lo part time, a couple of days a week.

Lisa

Pedagog
13-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry for the late reply, if you have a look on the ndcs (http://www.ndcs.org.uk/family_support/index.html)site they have some ideas for toys etc.

dawnpatrol501
27-10-2008, 09:32 PM
sorry to post this so late you obviously have had alot of response to your question.. being a parent of a hearing impaired child aswell as a childminder I can understand your concerns there is a deaf team available for children found usually at your council they have a huge amount of free information they may well also visit you in the setting and give you some hand on advice the ndcs have a blue peter loan scheme where they can loan equiptment to you for your mindee to tv etc fire alarms etc hope this helps,,:) :)