PDA

View Full Version : Cups for older children

kel1983
24-01-2012, 10:36 AM
We use the basic ikea beakers at the dining tble in the evenings for the older children but have been having spills atleast every evening. All the beakers I find have the narrow bottom and wider tops.

Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere you can buy similar cups to the steady cups but bigger and suitable for 5+. We already use the steady cups for the younger ones and they are brilliant.

sarahjane
24-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm probably in a minority here but once a child outgrows a tippy cup they have a glass here. They are far more sturdy and very rarely do they get knocked over.

Helen79
24-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I use small mugs or glasses for the older children as they're sturdier and harder to tip over than plastic ones.

wellybelly
24-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Morrisons sell thick glass tumblers which are only 60p each. They're sturdy and tough. My girls were awful with the Ikea tumblers - they're quite light. Now they use these and we've not had a spillage yet.

I bet tonight they will lol! :laughing:

QualityCare
24-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Just been to lidle and they have childrens glasses in sets of 3 didn't look at price but would be cheap if you have one near you.

kel1983
24-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks all good ideas. Just not sure about glasses as i've had bad experience with them.

Tealady
24-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I use polycarbonate picnic tumblers. They look like glass but are a tough and heavier plastic.

I know what you mean about glass, my sister bit into a glass when she was 7 so I only let my own children have one with straw.

Dragonfly
24-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Mine all use child sized china mugs.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Mine use the cups you are using and I half fill them and then refill if needed

Tippy Toes
24-01-2012, 01:16 PM
I use bigger tumbler cups (got mine from asda) they are much thicker than ikea beakers and dont seem to tip over so easily.

Older children have glasses.

rosebud
24-01-2012, 01:20 PM
My own daughter had a glass a couple of weeks ago with breakfast (her dad gave her it without thinking) she's 7 but managed to knock it off the table and it smashed everywhere. I had 2 crawling babies and a 2 year old and had to shut them all in the living room whilst I cleaned up the mess and mopped the floor. They were all screaming at being shut out but I really had no choice and had to ignore them for 20 - 30 minutes, I felt awful. I cleaned again later that night and was still finding small pieces of glass that I hadn't got first time round, I would urge you to think carefully before providing glasses.

JCrakers
24-01-2012, 01:35 PM
My own daughter had a glass a couple of weeks ago with breakfast (her dad gave her it without thinking) she's 7 but managed to knock it off the table and it smashed everywhere. I had 2 crawling babies and a 2 year old and had to shut them all in the living room whilst I cleaned up the mess and mopped the floor. They were all screaming at being shut out but I really had no choice and had to ignore them for 20 - 30 minutes, I felt awful. I cleaned again later that night and was still finding small pieces of glass that I hadn't got first time round, I would urge you to think carefully before providing glasses.

Nightmare...I was coming down stairs the other day with a large glass that dd had taken to her room (It was hubbies favourite german beer glass...oops)dropped it at the top and watched it in slow motion as it bounced down the stairs and landed in thousands of peices at the bottom....arrrgghhhhh.