PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a one year old who moves everything about!

Wheelybug
23-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Hi,
I have a 13 month old who for example, will pick up puzzle pieces from the puzzle table walk off with them and drop them as soon as he spots something else that catches his attention. He does this with all the toys and resources all day long. The other children go to use things and all the bits are all over the place and I feel like I am spending all day putting things back together. My question is should I be trying to discourage this behaviour? I know it is part of normal development and I don't have a problem with children combining different resources within my setting when following their interests, but his behaviour is affecting the other children's experiences in my setting. Should I be trying to stop it or should I allow it to continue. Would be really grateful for any advice!

Baildon bears
23-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Sounds like you have a transporter, you need to maybe get out some bricks, and big trucks, buckets ect... Channel his need to move things around make it into a game.

Stapleton83
23-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Agree try and find something to focus his love of movement but also when he drops things ask him to pick them up and put them back where they came from. At the end of the day he needs to learn to put things away and take care of them. You could get your other mindees to help too and when they find something in the wrong place ask them to put it back and if they do give them a sticker - just a thought.

Sam x

nipper
23-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Ooh I also have a 13 month old who does exactly the same thing. Anything you give her ends up on the floor, like it's some sort of game. If she does it while the older children are in the room I tell them not to make it into a game by picking it up for her. She only started it three weeks ago, when she first came to me and I noticed she did it to her mum with her cuddly toy that she takes everywhere with her (well, when it isn't being thrown on the floor!) I suspect she has learnt to do this when at home so is just carrying it on here.

Annoyingly at mealtimes when sat in the highchair, anything she doesn't like ends up on the floor as well. The first time I said 'no' to her she looked at me in horror.

Ho hum!