PDA

View Full Version : Is a flat suitable?

carrot86:)
23-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi Im new to the site and am interested in training to become a childminder but we currently live in a 2bed flat. Weve got lots of space and a huge garden but i wanted to know if there are many other childminders that live in a flat and does it put parents off in any way?

JMcG
24-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi - yes you can def become a childminder. I live in a two bedroom flat with no garden and it was not a problem at all. I have only just started out and luckily my first 2 mindees have been via recommendations so I'm not sure if generally people would mind about my property being a flat. I dont see what difference it makes, esp as you say you have the space and a garden anyway!

Good luck!

marnieb
24-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Hiya,

I have a 2 bed flat as well and have been minding for over 2 years. Yes, you will get some snooty people, but rememebr to sell all your flats good points! You are always on the same level as the children ( no nipping upstairs!) you can go to loo and always hear them.

Maza
24-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I live in a two bedroom flat with no direct access to a garden. Never been an issue. A lot of the parents live in flats too. As one person said - it's great all being on the same level. We're on the first floor and so every time the doorbell goes we all have to go downstairs to answer it together as I can't leave any of them in the flat alone. It's a pain but I can't change it.

Monkey26
24-01-2012, 07:51 AM
I minded from a 2 bed ground floor flat for the first 4 years, and it was only in the 2nd year of minding that we had use of a garden (had to get it fenced in as right of way footpaths ran around it) so don't let it put you off - i used to sell the fact that i didn't need baby monitors as i could hear all the children, that the bathroom was right there and accessible by all, and we used to go out lots - beach (lived right by sea), parks and toddler groups :)

In May 2011 i purchased a 2 bed, 2 reception room, mid terrace house and within weeks ended up buying a video monitor for the playroom (i was so used to having the kids right there as in my flat the kitchen was off the living room). The playroom is at one end of the house, the kitchen and garden at the other so that was expensive ha! Not to mention kitting out the playroom!

Ups and downs to everything - enjoy minding! :jump for joy: xx

rickysmiths
24-01-2012, 08:57 AM
I started work as a childminder in a first floor flat and worked there for 10 years before we moved.

You do need to make sure you have the written permission of the Freeholders to work as a childminder either directly if you are a Leaseholder or through your landlord it you rent.

carrot86:)
24-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks very much guys. I was just a bit worried ive been working in childcare for around 8 years now but as a nanny and based in a nursery so im a bit wary of being self employed. Very happy to hear that there are a few of you that are working in a flat i was worried it might affect me passing all of the checks etc.xx

samb
24-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi carrot

You Sound like me- I worked as a nursery nurse then nannied for 6 yrs and took some time off when I had my 2nd and then started childminding in a 1st floor 2 bed flat. :-) I also thought it might put people off and didn't childmind for q while when I had ds but then one of dd's pre school friends needed a Childminder closer to home as she would be starting school and would need a different Childminder. The mum asked me if I would childmind her! I said I thought living in a flat would put people off. She told me she liked me and that mattered more than where I lived. So I registered! I have had 1 person come to see me that has gone with someone else but she said it was cos she couldn't afford me- the other lady wouldn't have charged a retainer for the 5 months she wanted me to keep space open. All others I have met are now on my books- that's 18 months of childminding. I also comment on where we go out, talk about our communal garden space being like visiting a park, being near at all times and ease of toilet training when on 1 level and of course not having trouble with stairs inside. Go for it :-)