PDA

View Full Version : Stuck... Becoming a sloppy childminder

NicoleW
23-01-2012, 08:54 PM
:-(

I have my own 20 month old and a 13 month old and I really need some help to kick start me into gear.

I've stopped planning (I know I'm bad :( ) and I really need to get some firm stepping stones in place.

Can someone give me some really nice activity ideas for these ages please?

I want to be a GOOD childminder and I need to get back into the swing of things

uf353432
23-01-2012, 09:15 PM
what do YOU enjoy doing?

I often find if you start planning activities that you really enjoy it starts an avalanche. So if you love getting out in the nature then you should start with planning with nature walk, nature pictures, puddle jumping, going to the forest, going to the beach etc.

If you love drawing and crafts then start with making stuff with them.

If you love messy play start there

If you love gardening - get them outside gardening with you

If you love...well you get my point. Have a week of fun activities that YOU love that the children can come along for the ride and get sucked in by your positive energy and that should kick start enthusiasm and rekindle your love of the job, plus it should give you idea's for next weeks planning as well of fthe back of it.

Stapleton83
23-01-2012, 09:54 PM
What about the children what does your 20 month old particularly like to do or has an interest in?

Are they into a certain character or programme that you could use as a starting point to plan some activities?

What about a favourite toy they have, could you use that for some inspiration?

Think about the time of year or what's coming up like Spring, The Olympics or Chinese New Year and then consider what you could do with them around that theme.

My little girl (just turned 2) and the 15 month old I look after love going out in the pram, looking at the flowers and leaves etc outside so we do a variety of things linked to that like:

counting leaves together
Putting things in piles
Picking up sticks and I will talk about their size
Making pictures out of things we have collected whilst we've been out and about

Hope that helps a little, keep smiling, it can be a lonely job without any adult company.

Sam x

The Juggler
23-01-2012, 10:22 PM
what do the children really get engaged in hon. are they outdoorsy, do they love music, dressing up?

plan a few different resources out for them (including ones you enjoy) watch them and see what engages them most.

Before you plan now, just observe.

have a selection out each day:
some smallworld
some roleplay
construction
art and/or messy play on offer
have music/storytime

then observe and plan from there :thumbsup:

NicoleW
24-01-2012, 06:43 AM
What are they into... um... My 20 month old likes to build things at the moment. Going to the toy library on saturday for some building blocks.

The 13 month old just puts everything in his mouth.

Thinking about it, it is really hard to kind of pick out what they like. I've tried painting, baking, gloop. My 20 month old really isn't ''into'' creativity at the moment :)

Thanks I do have some small world stuff as well I'll get some out and observe them today and go from there :)

The Juggler
24-01-2012, 01:53 PM
What are they into... um... My 20 month old likes to build things at the moment. Going to the toy library on saturday for some building blocks.

The 13 month old just puts everything in his mouth.

Thinking about it, it is really hard to kind of pick out what they like. I've tried painting, baking, gloop. My 20 month old really isn't ''into'' creativity at the moment :)

Thanks I do have some small world stuff as well I'll get some out and observe them today and go from there :)

my 13 month old loves putting stuff in her mouth too but whilst she's at this, she explores the blocks, the food in teh home corner AND the smallworld. go with simple arts for now then, just chalks, pencils, crayons - offer the messy stuff once a week or less and see how they go. Try water play maybe in a small bowl with bubbles?

get some blocks and try the ball runs from teh resource centre - the babies love them :thumbsup:

Mrs M
31-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I think the fact that you're concerned about it means that you are and will be a good childminder. We tend to go to a group or play barn each morning and then it's activities/rest time in the afternoon. Do you have groups you can attend? The ages of your children are fairly difficult to plan for. Be loose with your planning and go with the flow as much as you can. Go for walks, chat to the children about what you can see in your environment, see if you can get to any children's centres and hook up with other childminders in your area. But above all, have fun with the children. All they want is to be stimulated and not bored. xxx

selena 31
31-01-2012, 04:30 PM
i feel i have become a bit sloppy since xmas too! but do you know what all the children i look after all under 18mnths have been poorly with sickness , hand foot and mouth, and this nasty cold and flu virus!:( i think being a good childminder is understanding this and making sure there needs come first and not worrying about doing rigid activities when there all under the weather! we go to lots of groups and things but planning has to be loose at this age as a teething baby needs sleep when up all night rather than me worrying about not doing a observation on an activitie ! so chill and i think i cant wait till spring gets here and all the bugs have gone and we can get back to having some fun!:laughing:

~Grasshopper~
08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
im a sloppy childminder aswell. since my inspection in august ive just lost all puropse with my paperwork, ive been doing a few observations and have started attending a few new groups but ive had new starters and ive just not had time to get my head around the paperwork again.

i have my 2 yr old, a 18mth old and a 1year old. so between feeds, naps, snacks, nappy changes/ school runs, groups. i dont have time for set activities like craft/messy play.

x