PDA

View Full Version : Teething & temperature

Cookie Monster
23-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi all,

Opinions please, from your experience does teething cause babies temperature to be raised?

A parent brought baby to me today and warned she has had a temp, but it's teething, looked this up and it seems it's a grey area. My policy is that children who have had a high temp should stay home but this is a bit different isn't it.

Thanks in advance for your experiences of teething syptoms:)

Abi

singingcactus
23-01-2012, 01:58 PM
In my experience - more than 20 years in early years care - yes teething can and frequently does cause raised temps. Also squishy nappies, runny noses, drooling, even rashes.
Doesn't necessarily mean that this temp is teething, and this is why some carers turn away teething infants with temps cos you can't always say 100% that it is only teething and not something contagious or more serious!
So follow you own instincts, you can see the child in front of you and you will be able to see if it is just a raised temp or a sick child.

Yeah, I know, that was totally no help at all. Sorry :)

nic t
23-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Hmmm I've had children with very rosy cheeks through teething but not a temperature!

They can't say what is causing the temperature, it could be a virus. I wouldn't accept a child with a temperature.

Cookie Monster
23-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Ha ha no that's great thank you
:laughing:

VeggieSausage
23-01-2012, 02:21 PM
i have a lo who even when obviiously ill, parent tells me they are teething......its the answer to everything don't you know :joker:

Playmate
23-01-2012, 02:25 PM
In my experience - more than 20 years in early years care - yes teething can and frequently does cause raised temps. Also squishy nappies, runny noses, drooling, even rashes.
Doesn't necessarily mean that this temp is teething, and this is why some carers turn away teething infants with temps cos you can't always say 100% that it is only teething and not something contagious or more serious!
So follow you own instincts, you can see the child in front of you and you will be able to see if it is just a raised temp or a sick child.

Yeah, I know, that was totally no help at all. Sorry :)

I agree :D having had 3 of my own and have been in childcare and nursing for over 20 years. 2 of my own cut teeth without a symptom, my 3rd got a temp, loose acidic poo's and nappy rash from hell :(

All my mindees have been different. In the last 2 years i have taken on 2 children who started in nurseries and the first sign of a temp or a runny nappy and they were sent home. Parents were having to take so much time off work :panic: I think you need to look at the whole picture and not just individual symproms. what I will say if temp goes above 38 ish they are probably ill and not just teething :D

snufflepuff
23-01-2012, 02:26 PM
My son sometimes got a temperatere when teething- only slightly raised though, not what I'd call a 'proper' temperature.

onceinabluemoon
23-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Go with your gut instinct. :)

It may be that parent genuinely believes its teething even if it isn't. With the LOs unable to communicate their pain details it's impossible to know really isn't it? Hope the LO recovers soon. :)