PDA

View Full Version : Yet another enquiry - might get my buggies out yet lol

Demonjill
23-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey folks:)

I have had yet another enquiry - i am so pleased!:thumbsup:

LO(7 months at mo) looking for care from mid march mum is nurse

she will need 3 days 9.5 hours each day ( but not set days unless she can persuade boss but thats unlikely) so thought full fees for 3 days and half fees for other 2 days - if she does want to use other days they get topped up to full fees im happy with this and have space

all this is ok but......

her hubby works away so she really only "needs" care when he is away as he will look after LO when he is home
He is away 2weeks and home 3 weeks

She knows that she would have to pay to keep the space ...so bearing in mind she already would have to pay for the other 2 days every week..

was thinking of doing a % of full fees for those 3 weeks what do you think? Is half fees too cheap (for 3 weeks off at a time?)

Does anyone else have complicated enquiries like this?

Any suggestions would be helpful

She is visiting tom morning so would be nice to have thought before then

She stays near me and seems nice, would love a LO, its alot of hours per day so good earning potential and i like the idea of having quieter days/weeks mixed in with "mad" weeks even if it is less money!

Thankyou......again:thumbsup:

flowerpots
23-01-2012, 12:24 PM
oooh thats a tricky one, i think i would charge for the 5 full days for 2 weeks and 3 full days for 3 weeks. Will be interested to see what others would do, i always seem to get these tricky hours/rotas. :)

sarahjane
23-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I would charge a minimum number of hours per week (say 30?) and charge any extra hours used on top. Regardless of whether dad is home or not.

CH1957
23-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Its a really tricky one. I had a similar enquiry from nurse wanting different days each week and told Mum I would have to charge a half fee retainer for the days she didnt use. She refused and was quite cross that I'd even suggested it, said I would easily fill the days she didnt use. What I couldnt get accross to her was that she would effectively be taking up a full time place each week even though she didnt use it every day.
I live very near to a hospital so may have this dilema again so I would be interested in what other people do. Perhaps its just down to the particular parent! Some will be happy to pay a retainer, others wont.

nemo97
23-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I must be too soft with my parents, cos I let 1 of mine
who is a nurse pay for just the 3 days that she works,
even though I have to keep a space for 5 days.

kellib
23-01-2012, 04:29 PM

I do that too but that's my choice because I don't particularly want a full timer at this minute

caz3007
23-01-2012, 04:36 PM

I have done that too, I dont want or need to be full and have all three EYFS spaces, so for me my USP is complete flexibility. Got a lady coming tonight who just needs 6 days a month and the extra cash would suit us for extras. I am going to insist on 6 days paid at beginning of month and then any extra PAYG

Goatgirl
23-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi :),
I think I'd just charge for minimum hours each week at a slightly enhanced rate. You are keeping a full time space for them whether they use it or not after all:
you are compromising by not charging for the total available hours of the place they're using, so its a good deal.

Alternatively, ( do some sums and see how it compares) I'd charge half fee for all the days, as they can't really be used by anyone else, and just top up to full fee for days used. I'd do it at a slightly enhanced rate as well probably.
I think one rate for the used weeks and another for the unused might be a bit complicated and leave you very out of pocket as its fewer used than unused.

Also, it may get even less profitable if something changes in parents work patterns. Be careful how you word it on the contract :thumbsup:

good luck!
wendy :)