PDA

View Full Version : gloves for nappy change

jadavi
22-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Are we supposed to wear gloves to change nappies?
Isn't washing hands properly afterwards good enough?

The Juggler
22-01-2012, 10:27 PM
i don't wear them unless a particularly bad nappy :panic:

rickysmiths
22-01-2012, 10:50 PM
We don't have to wear them but I do out of choice. Its one thing getting your own child poo on your hands and quite another getting someone else's. :D

PixiePetal
22-01-2012, 10:53 PM
I do for the really nasty ones. Then always have a good scrub with anti bac soap - hate poo!

christine e
22-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I normally just wear one glove (on my right hand) for poo nappies, I fold the nappy up tightly then hold it with the gloved had then with my left hand pull the glove off over the nappy so that the nappy ends up inside the glove

Cx

miffy
22-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I hate them and don't wear unless it's a really yucky nappy - just wash my hands before and afterwards.

Miffy xx

tialil
22-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I always have used gloves for nappy changes and wiping little ones on the toilet - no poo on me ;)

Daftbat
23-01-2012, 08:09 AM
I never have - cant get on with them:laughing:

Playmate
23-01-2012, 08:21 AM
I normally just wear one glove (on my right hand) for poo nappies, I fold the nappy up tightly then hold it with the gloved had then with my left hand pull the glove off over the nappy so that the nappy ends up inside the glove

Cx

This is exactly what I do :D If I think if might be particularly bad I will wear 2 :D
As an ex nurse I'm particularly fussy about cross infection and most peoples hand washing is not adequate to get rid of the bugs passed in stools, especially when we are busy :panic: I hear people all the time complaining about D&V bugs and passing on of these bugs can be minimised greatly by wearing gloves. I can safely say that in my 18 years of being a CM that I have not caught a D&V bug from a minded child :D

Roseolivia
23-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't wear them. Not bothered by poo it's sick that gets to me:laughing: I just make sure i wash hands before and after.

VeggieSausage
23-01-2012, 09:02 AM
After several children with diahorrea (apologise for spelling!), sickness, bugs, one lo who poo's more than I could ever imagine on a day to day basis, I wear gloves always. I thought gloves were OTT when I did my training but now think they are essential! :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
23-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I wear gloves for poos, but not for wees (except when a mindee had some badly infected nappy rash.) I pull the gloves inside out over the nappy too, then put it in a nappy sack- no nasty smells can get out when it's triple wrapped!

lozzy23
23-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Wear gloves for pooey nappies, might try the wrapping in the glove method, never thought of that! x

handeme
23-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Cx

I do the same. C x

chez
23-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I wear gloves for wet and soiled nappies.
Something I wasnt aware of until my DO told me was that if a child had something like HIV they dont have to tell you. :eek:

Helen79
23-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Something I wasnt aware of until my DO told me was that if a child had something like HIV they dont have to tell you.

We were told the same on our ICP and 1st aid course. You would hope that parents would tell you but they don't have to. I wear gloves for all nappy changes.

SammyM
23-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Something I wasnt aware of until my DO told me was that if a child had something like HIV they dont have to tell you. :eek:

Wow -didn't realise this, time to find the gloves out I think.

Mouse
23-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I didn't used to wear gloves, then was given some & decided I might as well use them. I wouldn't go back to changing nappies without them now :thumbsup:

chez
23-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Wow -didn't realise this, time to find the gloves out I think.

It just worries me my family are too valuable to me for me to leave them yet because I couldnt be bothered to wear gloves.

onceinabluemoon
23-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Gloves for me too. :)