PDA

View Full Version : chicken pox help please

dusky777
22-01-2012, 07:58 PM
hi mindee had 2 spot on her tummy tuesday wednesday last week and on her day off thursday she came out with chicken pox so she didnt attend friday.
mum has just text saying can mindee come tomorrow morning until my other mindee comes in the afternoon all spots are dried out.
Why ask just for the morning if all spot have dried out?!
I have a visit for a 6 month old in the morning can they really have dried out already? What are the chances of her still being Contagious i think she could still be and worry about her passing it on to the little baby.

I have advised them about the baby visiting but they havent got back to me.

BuggsieMoo
22-01-2012, 08:06 PM
The HPA recommend 5 days from the onset of the rash and as long as all new spots are crusted.

Therefore Thursday to Monday. I would not have child back until Tuesday at the earliest as long as the spots are crusted over. Any new ones that are not crusted over and the child would not be allowed.

dusky777
22-01-2012, 08:10 PM
The HPA recommend 5 days from the onset of the rash and as long as all new spots are crusted.

Therefore Thursday to Monday. I would not have child back until Tuesday at the earliest as long as the spots are crusted over. Any new ones that are not crusted over and the child would not be allowed.

This is what i was thinking, but i think shes thinking from the spots on tuesdays!! Trying there luck i think?!

why do i feel so guilty for saying no!!

BuggsieMoo
22-01-2012, 08:14 PM
This is what i was thinking, but i think shes thinking from the spots on tuesdays!! Trying there luck i think?!

why do i feel so guilty for saying no!!

I know they make you feel awful dont they - but she must be wise to the rules on this seems she only wants to send LO when she believes no other children will be around.

I had to close at Christmas cos my LO got this 2 days before I was due to close (she had it at 6 months and again at 4 years and 8 months). Apparently if you get it before 1 you build up no immunity to it (or so our doctor said) so I personally wouldnt risk it with the baby coming. x

nic t
22-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I thought it was 5 days from LAST spot and longer if not crusted?

LeeMarie
22-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi, I've had a lo off with chicken pox for most of the last 2 weeks. HPA say 5 days from the onset of the rash and NHS direct say you are still infectious until the last blister has popped and crusted over. This took 9 days for lo and his mum wasn't happy that I kept refusing to take him but with one lo's mum pregnant and another with a young baby at home I couldn't take any chances.

miffy
22-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I always thought you were infectious until all the spots had crusted over and dried up. This can take much longer than 5 days from the onset of the rash as the spots tend to come out in batches over several days.

Miffy xx

dusky777
23-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Well i didnt recieve a reply after advising i had a baby visiting in the morning and unless they have completely cleared up i dont want to risk her giving them to the baby.....so i just waiting to see if she turns up!!!

CAnt believe the cheek of some people? I know shes struggling with childcare as she used up all her holidays but if i get shiggles she be back to square one anyway!

rickysmiths
23-01-2012, 09:39 AM
The thing to remember is that they are infectious just before the spots anyway.

It would depend on where the spots were. If they were crusted and covered by clothing and all my parents whose children had not had it were happy i would have had him. The other children could have caught it anyway and one of them could have given it to him without anyone realizing . My dd had one spot on her cheek.

The baby visiting wouldn't be an issue for me because I never interview when I am minding anyway. I don't feel I can care for the children and pay attention to the prospective parent. I also don't like bringing strangers into the setting with the mindeed children because it is unsettling for them. Thats just me though!!

BuggsieMoo
23-01-2012, 12:09 PM
The thing to remember is that they are infectious just before the spots anyway.

It would depend on where the spots were. If they were crusted and covered by clothing and all my parents whose children had not had it were happy i would have had him. The other children could have caught it anyway and one of them could have given it to him without anyone realizing . My dd had one spot on her cheek.

The baby visiting wouldn't be an issue for me because I never interview when I am minding anyway. I don't feel I can care for the children and pay attention to the prospective parent. I also don't like bringing strangers into the setting with the mindeed children because it is unsettling for them. Thats just me though!!

I'm the same, I dont mind and interview at the same time. I feel I cant focus on either side fairly whilst Im trying to do both x