PDA

View Full Version : Ratios - in English please?

annaross82
22-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Despite speaking to Ofsted I can't get my head around how many children I can look after.

My certificate states that I can look after 4 children (as I have 2 of my own) and of these 4 only 1 can be under the age of 1. I was also told that I can only have 3 children under the age of 5 (including my own).

So... if I have a child under 1 does that mean I cannot take on a child who is 1+?

I am sure I am making this more complicated than it actually is... Help!

BuggsieMoo
22-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Despite speaking to Ofsted I can't get my head around how many children I can look after.

My certificate states that I can look after 4 children (as I have 2 of my own) and of these 4 only 1 can be under the age of 1. I was also told that I can only have 3 children under the age of 5 (including my own).

So... if I have a child under 1 does that mean I cannot take on a child who is 1+?

What else does your cert say. Basically from what you said above you can have 4, of which 1 can be birth - 1 year and 3 can be 1 year +. It is usually broken down into the EYFS age range. Mine for instance says

Can care for no more than 4 children at any one time of which 2 can be in the EYFS age range (so birth - 5 years) of which 1 can be under 1 (so I can have 1 under 1 and 1 1-5 or 2 of 1+) and 2 up to 8 years (so 2 can be 5+ years ).

HTH

tashaleee
22-01-2012, 03:50 PM

How old are your own children?

annaross82
22-01-2012, 06:25 PM
My children are aged 3 and 2.

My certificate says:

May care for no more than 4 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 1 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register).

When caring for 4 or 5 year-old children who are present only before and/or after a normal school day and in school holidays, may increase the number of children in the early years age group by the number of children who are present only before and/or after a normal school days and in school holidays, providing the maximum number is not exceed (Early Years Register).

:panic:

BuggsieMoo
22-01-2012, 07:24 PM
My children are aged 3 and 2.

My certificate says:

May care for no more than 4 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 1 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register).

When caring for 4 or 5 year-old children who are present only before and/or after a normal school day and in school holidays, may increase the number of children in the early years age group by the number of children who are present only before and/or after a normal school days and in school holidays, providing the maximum number is not exceed (Early Years Register).

:panic:

Ok so basically you can care for 1 more in the EYFS age range and they can be birth - 5 years. You can then care for 3 above the EYFS age range. This is cos your own 2 are still in the EYFS age range. As they get older, this will alter on your certificate.

Someone else will be able to explain the rising 5 clause a bit better as well x

Stapleton83
22-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Ok, so I will try and explain the rising 5 bit of the certificate. In essence if you are asked to look after a child who is not yet 5 but is at school full time, i.e. my daughter who is 4 and a half but is in Reception at school, then they are not classed as being over 5 and based on what you have said in your earlier post that means you could have 3 after school children under the age of 8 plus one child who is not at school full time.

Does that help, hope so.

Sam x

My baby girl was 2 today - enjoy then whilst you can it goes really fast